Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use the stock chain length with a 16T countershaft sprocket? Or do I need a longer chain?

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
34 Posts
Just a thought but take a look at how much swingarm you have left. One more tooth at 525 chain is 5/8" so you need at least half that at the adjuster to bring the axle in closer.
Excellent point, on my dirt bike I thought I had plenty of chain, it snapped on the trail.
Check out this site, it might help;
On my 2015 650 stock sizes are;
  • Front Tire:120/70-17
  • Rear Tire:160/60-17
  • Front Sprocket:15T
  • Rear Sprocket:46T
  • Chain:520x114
  • Spark Plug: CR9EIA-9
Another way to check is more work, you need to remove the rear shock :-( to lift the swingarm to a horizontal level and check that you still have slack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's where I'm at. This is with the chain slack adjusted to within spec. Everything is stock, bike only has 225 miles on it. I assume the chain will stretch a bit as the miles go up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should be enough for a 1 tooth larger countershaft sprocket, no?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Again, yes. I went to the 16 tooth before I had 1000 miles on the bike, so there was little to no stretch in the chain. Was certainly not an issue. Getting the nut loose on the front sprocket is another story. Best to have access to a powerful air impact wrench to get it loose. You'll find many reports on the forum on folks efforts to get the nut loose for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
Changed the counter-shaft sprocket yesterday on my '15 - I used a 'longer' socket to go from a tooth at 4 o'clock to the swingarm, held w/ a finger, than used my air-impact to 'spin' the nut OFF.

I made sure that my tank was at FULL pressure before starting (about 115+ psi).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Got it done today easily with my 1/2" corded electric impact.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent point, on my dirt bike I thought I had plenty of chain, it snapped on the trail.
Check out this site, it might help;
On my 2015 650 stock sizes are;
  • Front Tire:120/70-17
  • Rear Tire:160/60-17
  • Front Sprocket:15T
  • Rear Sprocket:46T
  • Chain:520x114
  • Spark Plug: CR9EIA-9
Another way to check is more work, you need to remove the rear shock :-( to lift the swingarm to a horizontal level and check that you still have slack.
that site is pretty cool and simple to use. The gearing commander website is also useful and gives rpm and speed differences if you want to really play around and its fairly accurate.
I would tell you more but still pulling the back shock off...l. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts