Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the reviews that are luke warm, but often times this does not translate to real world, like our V that get no respect or press...

I have a friend with a moderate handicap that is considering the Spyder - anyone have any experience with them to recommend the bike/trike/motomobile or not?

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Most guys i know who quit riding due to age or injury have gotten back to riding with the goldwing trike. I like the spyder but the only commit i've heard from anyone that rode one said it was rather wierd steering the thing. Not much help but thats all i got.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Seen one take off the other day and it gots some mean acceration from my viewpoint watching him disapear down the road.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a friend with a moderate handicap ...
I have "disability" and everyone asks me how I do it.
I have see guys with prosthetic legs ride. I have seen guys with one arm ride.
I do understand some disabilities do reach a level of disqualification.
When I bought my first bike I did not even know if I would be able to ride it home.
I now own and ride three bikes.
If I could not ride two wheels.
I might as well step up to something like this this.
With seat belts, air conditioning, stereo, trunk etc.

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have ridden one a few times.
Its very different than a 2 wheeler but similar to a Snowmobile, ATV and even a sidecar rig.

I enjoyed the spyder, its fun in its own way, but I have sidecar experience so I kind of knew what to expect in regard to the steering.
I do wish you could defeat the electronic nanny, being able to power slide the rear would be a hoot, but even with it its still fun.
I would pick a Spyder over a conventional trike any day as it can still be a sporty ride.
But yea, the Spyder is a pretty disrespected ride.

Another option for your friend is a sidecar rig, they get a bit more respect than the Spyders & Trikes do and offer a lot more practicality.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The first year ones I rode had speed dependant power "assist" steering.
This was long before the Touring model came out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've read the reviews that are luke warm, but often times this does not translate to real world, like our V that get no respect or press...

I have a friend with a moderate handicap that is considering the Spyder - anyone have any experience with them to recommend the bike/trike/motomobile or not?
I demo spyder every year at Americade (Bike rally in New York).

First off, they are very very different from a motorcycle, I wouldn't even put them in the same bucket.

I consider them to be legal "4 Wheelers/Quads" becuase thats exactly how it feels when operating them.

Pros:
  • They are cool (different)
  • Feel like a kid when you jump on it (if you have been riding motorcycles)
  • Lots of sophisticated technology (if your a geek like me)
  • Paddle Shift , No Clutch, Auto Downshift (Pretty Cool if your lazy)
  • Very Quick considering
  • Great Riding Position
Cons:
  • Lots of Technology Keeping it on the road (always afraid of faliure)
  • It's Big, so not as nimble on the road
  • Its not a motorcycle (some guys dont respect it)
  • The Biggest Downfall: Its Ride is like a quad
Let me further explain the biggest downfall: "It Rides like a quad".

First off, let me tell you that most people during these demo rides CAN NOT get used to the feeling of how to drive it within the 30 min demo window. Unless you ride a quad, the feeling is just "not right". This is because it does not lean, meaning the force when turning is very very strong. Unlike a bike (when you lean into a turn the force pushes you into the seat), the spyder doesnt lean (meaning that your body is moving in the opposite direction of the spyder). This forces you to exert a lot of effort to stay on, and, well, it gets Old FAST.

Most people, that I have talked to, dislike the Spyder for this reason (and I am also in this bucket). Don't get me wrong, riding this thing for 30 mins is fun as heck, but long term, there is just no way I could get used to it. I had to use my legs, arms, abs, back, all of it just to stay on when going aruond twisties.

If your friend lives in an area which is mainly highway driving, or straight roads, then I am sure my opinion doesn't matter much, but where I live, curvey roads are the norm, not straight ones.

But to be honest, if this is the only way that I could "ride", then I would still buy it. Just make sure your friend can handle the G-Force in turns. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was at my licensing skills test with one and had a chance to talk to the owner a bit about it. Besides the fact that it's not a motorcycle, it's very expensive ($24K for the model this gal had). I'd go with a convertible before I'd get a Can-Am.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts