Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I have a buddy looking at a used Versys with 33000km on it. He's wondering what kind of milleage this 650 parallele twin can survive?

Anyone reached 100000km on a versys yet? Anything close to that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm fairly confident 50k would be no issue. 100k might be stretching it, though. I have not seen any real-world data on this, but it would probably need some rework somewhere after 50k. This is pure speculation on my part based upon my (limited) experience with Kawi's twin engines (EX250, EX500, etc)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm a bit surprised by the answers...I myself sold my Versys after a year but I put about 15000-20000km a year on my bikes (but I fall in love with a new bike each year). So far, the most I've put on a new bike is 20000km but running like it was, with the dealer maintenance I was expecting at a minimum 75000km from the engine...was a Triumph Speed Triple 2009. That said I'm sure suspensions would need to be replaced etc, normal wear and tare. But I'm curious too see how much milleage some were able to put on a Ninja 650 or a Versys engine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sure it can. That's only like 62,000 miles. I sold my 650R with 39k miles on it and it is still going strong afaik. The odd component will likely need to be replaced between now and 100000km but there should be no problem with it lasting that long. People in general underestimate the durability of a modern motorcycle engine because so few of them get ridden a lot in comparison to the number sold. Mostly just toys for people.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
If regular filter/oil changes, valve clearance/adjustments, air cleaner clean/replacement, plug changes, and all good general maint done could not see any reason why a engine could not go beyond 100,000km but you would of gone through a few tyres by then.

·
Registered
193 Posts
:eek: Whoops, totally missed the all important units. 100 kilometers - sure. 100K miles, not so sure.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've seen a Kawasaki 500 (more fragile twin than the 650) with over 100,000km and no rebuilds or major work. I suspect a lot has to do with the way it is treated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I anticipate electrical things (stator, rectifier, starter etc.) to go first...followed by things like the clutch, steering head bearings, linkage bearings, cam chain, etc...but so far as the bottom and top end of the motor and gearbox, with decent maintenance, I think 100K miles is possible...maybe even probable.

I plan on finding out...with my 5 year extended warranty that is. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,393 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts