Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my cam timing after doing a valve clearance adjustment. I got all the new shims in place, but when I went to put the cams back, I can't seem to get my exhaust cam to time "perfectly" to the top of the engine case as per the owner's manual. I'm trying to figure out if what I have is as close as its going to get or if I need to pull it all apart and try again. It seems like it is like 1/2 cog off or something which doesn't make any sense. The motor does turn over by hand with essentially the same stiffness points as before the cams were out.

Bike is a 2009 V650 with 22500 miles. The chain was held in place during the whole process so I think a kink is unlikely.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks onewizard & Invader!
I felt like it was right, but I just had trouble convincing myself. So when I got home from work today I pulled the cam caps back off rechecked everything and if I moved the exhaust cam one cog further in either direction it was too much.
I feel like I read every thread on doing the valve adjustments ahead of actually doing them, but I still missed things in the more detailed posts, thanks for those reminder links.

Now on to the front fork oil change...
I'm doing every piece of maintenance I can think of right now while the bike is apart. Had an off back in December so while I'm doing repairs, might as well fix/upgrade!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.