Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I come across an item that really stands out, and performs beyond my expectations, I like to pass my experience off to you guys.

I purchased the JetBoil Zip camping stove AFTER my big trip this summer. I have been using an older MSR whisper stove (that rusted out) and a Coleman style Propane Stove (green bottles). Space is at a premium in my smallish side bags, so it really hurt to pack pots, stoves, and tanks, just to dehydrate a handful of meals. Research started this summer and I found the Jetboil line of products while on vacation in Maine this summer. I picked one up. Well I have used it 3 times since and it works fantastic. It boils just under one liter of water in less than 2 minutes using a isoprop fuel 100ml canister. You can also use the pot to drink your morning coffee.

http://www.jetboil.com/

The main selling feature is that the stand, tank, pan stand, and stove come apart and pack neatly inside the integrated neoprene covered pot. The whole system, complete with measuring cup, pack up to approx. 8" long by about 5" in diameter. Perfect for a lightweight adventure touring machine.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You say you bought it in Maine - where?

Came all the way south to Maine, did you? Hope our warm summer wasn't too hard on you. :D:D

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
My family bought me a Jet Boil stove for mother's day and it works so well!! Beats the little one I had for hiking!! It is so quick to boil water and packs so small. Totally worth the $$.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say you bought it in Maine - where?

Came all the way south to Maine, did you? Hope our warm summer wasn't too hard on you. :D:D
Yes we usually hit Acadia National Park every summer. My wife and daughter love to kayak Frenchman Bay in Bar Harbour. Bought the stove at Cadillac Mountain Sports.

Ha Ha yes. A whopping 3 hrs drive south was tough on our Canadian asses. Having said that, I spent 3 weeks south of DFW Texas in October 2007, and was almost taken to the hospital.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of my riding buddies has the jetboil and he loves it. He is also a very serious mountain climber and uses it all the time in extreme conditions. However I have never seen him cook anything with it, I think you may need another attachment if you wanted to put a pan on top to cook anything. It seems to be the best deal if all you do is boil water, but I'm not so sure about cooking anything??

I bought one of these tiny little stoves 4 years ago and love it.

Dimensions when stowed: 2 x 2 x 3.2 in. I loved it so much I bought a 2nd one so I could have two stoves going at once when cooking.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6EO0SS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
42 Posts
got one for solo camping about a year ago, love it. not so effective for cooking for a crowd but it pulls through in a pinch (once had 6 folks crammed into my tent during a deluge, dinner was slow but very appreciated)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It makes sense to me to use a stove that uses the same fuel as my motorcycle. I have never seen a Whisperlite rust out. I now use one that is a little lighter and a little more compact called a Simmerlite. It is not made any longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts