Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
4 years ago I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer to bring motorcycles with me on work trips since I was no longer able to ride them the distances in the time required.
2 years ago when the world shit down I considered a toy hauler, but the sizes I was willing to buy couldn’t handle the Harley or two smaller bikes.
I decided to convert my trailer into a toy hauler.
It took about a month to get it ready for the first outing, and several months to adapt it to my changing wants.
I can carry two smaller bikes, or my Harley. If carrying one smaller bike I can leave the bed deployed making setting up camp quicker.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle
Interior design Picture frame Wall Real estate Wood
Plant Window Textile Tree Shade

put in 30 amp service, AC, dehumidifier, microwave, dorm fridge, insulation, windows, etc.
No water.

The bed is a vertical drawer so it can’t fall on the bikes when stowed.
Wood Rectangle Natural material Floor Flooring
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Composite material

Weight, and weight distribution was a major consideration when designing and building it out.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I went yesterday and looked at Toy Haulers; I need a bigger truck. :rolleyes: OR? I need a big Van that I can put 2 or 3 bikes in and can pull a Travel Trailer. :unsure: Shhh, don't tell my wife. :giggle:
Not sure about everyone’s ages, but when I was a kid there was a TV show called the Hardy Boys. They had a van with bikes in the back. That was a dream for me.
The closest I came is this set up.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Shade
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like a blast!! I can’t wait for the weather to warm up and the spring showers to subside to get back to the state parks. I’m able to fit a weekends worth of “glamping” gear and food on my V650 (including a top case). Even able to bring my little guy along with me. Thing drives like a dream with all the gear on it. (And don’t worry, the boy gets plenty of walks and treats along the way)
Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like a blast!! I can’t wait for the weather to warm up and the spring showers to subside to get back to the state parks. I’m able to fit a weekends worth of “glamping” gear and food on my V650 (including a top case). Even able to bring my little guy along with me. Thing drives like a dream with all the gear on it. (And don’t worry, the boy gets plenty of walks and treats along the way)
View attachment 186700
Looks like a good setup! That pup looks like he's the king of his castle riding with you!

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We have a more modest setup :). We drive / ride to a campsite, following each other. Then, my wife changes into her gear, hops on back, and we explore the back roads. Having a camper to "stage" is definitely nice.
View attachment 186732
Its woul be hard not to like a VW camper van ... whether you're a practical camper, or an old hippie ... or anyone else!

That looks great I like it ! ... and follows the major rules of fun:
1) Everyone gets to have fun (especially 'Mama')
2) Accommodations are good (which is subjective)
3) Motorcycles are involved!

Reactions: GeoGator

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
When I brought one of my kids along, I had him ride in front of me so my arms encircled him, and I made up some 'stirrups' out of seat-belt material so that he was properly supported. I ALWAYS cringe when I see a small child BEHIND the rider. My son fell asleep on a ride, so I stopped, tied a scarf around him and me, and kept going. Here's a pic of him at four (and I have a Super8 movie of him riding at TWO!).

Danny1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

And here's one a bit older....

Danny2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Danny11 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

plus his younger bro'....

Joey5 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
305 Posts
When I brought one of my kids along, I had him ride in front of me so my arms encircled him, and I made up some 'stirrups' out of seat-belt material so that he was properly supported. I ALWAYS cringe when I see a small child BEHIND the rider. My son fell asleep on a ride, so I stopped, tied a scarf around him and me, and kept going. Here's a pic of him at four (and I have a Super8 movie of him riding at TWO!).

Danny1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

And here's one a bit older....

Danny2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Danny11 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

plus his younger bro'....

Joey5 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
When I was 10 my brother taught me to ride by putting me in front of him. At first he would get the bike rolling and then let me steer, that turned in to him riding on the back and I took him for rides; eventually I would bug him so much to go ride, he just threw me the key and told me not to leave the neighborhood. :giggle:

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
We have a more modest setup :). We drive / ride to a campsite, following each other. Then, my wife changes into her gear, hops on back, and we explore the back roads. Having a camper to "stage" is definitely nice.
View attachment 186732
Those have always intrigued me. Is the pop top just for standing room, or is there a bed platform up there? Is it a daily driver or only used when camping?

My wife has followed me on occasion and it made her very nervous seeing me out amongst the cars. One time I was riding with a friend and the ladies were driving his RV behind us. An idiot in a car went from the far left lane to the far right lane between my buddy and I who were riding staggered. I think that is when my wife decided she was pretty much done riding with me.

·
Registered
09 v650, 00'r1150gs, 83' r80rt
254 Posts
Not sure about everyone’s ages, but when I was a kid there was a TV show called the Hardy Boys. They had a van with bikes in the back. That was a dream for me.
The closest I came is this set up.
View attachment 186636 View attachment 186637

Im digging the basic set up. How much glamor do your need. I mean you have a bike to stop and have fun on right?
Wagon camping in style!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts