Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while doing the valve job and taking off the cams I noticed that each of the cam gears on the outer edge do have markings for exhaust and intake but on the inner part of the gear it has one stamp either ex or in for exhaust or intake. What I'm confused about is the one that's marked exhaust is on the intake side and the one that is marked intake is on the exhaust side. My bike has been running fine I'm just doing a clearance check and a lot of the intake valves are off but very close to within spec I just find this strange. I read that each cam is the same anyways so I don't think this is an issue?

One more thing I noticed it seems that the notches don't line up 100% perfectly in line but they're pretty close it almost seems like it's off by one tooth... I doubt this is the case though...

Uploaded a picture and I think you can see the EX mark on the left cam gear right by the hole.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just checked up on the Kawasaki parts website and the cam gears are exactly the same part sooo? I guess all is good?

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts

Also a good video on page 2 by @Devilsfan

Reactions: Masternaut

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess all is good?
Since the gears are the same the inner markings designate which set of bolts to use for each cam. The confusing thing is with the bolts installed the bolt head covers up the designator for the cam it is installed on.
My info is from the service manual. I have not yet done a valve check yet, not riding enough, not enough miles yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the gears are the same the inner markings designate which set of bolts to use for each cam. The confusing thing is with the bolts installed the bolt head covers up the designator for the cam it is installed on.
My info is from the service manual. I have not yet done a valve check yet, not riding enough, not enough miles yet.
Yeah that's pretty smart I haven't actually looked at the installation part of the cams again I'm just at the part where it tells you to measure the clearance. Before I assemble it again I will check that section out thanks for the great info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts