Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there no periodic cam chain tensioner routine adjustment? I'm thinking like my KLR, where once in a while you back off a bolt in the left side of the case that frees the tensioner spring to push inward, then tighten that bolt back up to lock the tensioner in place. I'm not finding any such in the manual. Is there such just not documented?

TIA

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
Read The Manual

Short answer it is automatic, if you screw with the tensioner, you need to completely remove it, reset it and reinstall it, there is a big warning about this in the manual, unless of course you wish for the cam chain to fail.

MK-! section 5-20 of the manual ;

Caution ( It should say Danger)
This is a non-return type camshaft chain tensioner.The push rod does not return to its original position once it moves out to take up camshaft chain slack.Observe all the rules listed below:
When removing the tensioner, do not take out the mounting bolts only halfway. Retightening the mounting bolts from this position could damage the tensioner and the camshaft chain. Once the
bolts are loosened, the tensioner must be removed and reset as described in "Camshaft Chain Tensioner Installation." Do not turn over the crankshaft while the tensioner is removed. This could upset the camshaft chain timing, and damage the valves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts