Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is beating a dead horse about the subject, but I have a question that I don't think has been specifically asked/answered.

I'd like to know if those who have the 15 tooth sprocket have gone both on and OFF road and what their thoughts are on it when off-road.
Seems plenty of people really like it on the freeway and all that good stuff, but I haven't seen many that take their bike off road.
I've read one post on ADV stating they like it stock for their mostly off road hill riding, but that's it.

Any one on here willing to chime in?
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I watched a review by Ryan on Fortnine who spends a fair amount of time offroad- he would add a couple teeth to the rear and leave to stock front to compensate for the lack of torque; basically going shorter than stock for off road. I'm leaving mine stock for now until I get better offroad tires to see if I need it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lots of off road with mine - I have the 15, and it does great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have the 15T, did about 100 miles in two days near Linville Falls.
Split time between 2nd and 3rd. Couple of times in first on hairpins.
Oh, rear tire is street Shinko.

I am not an off-roader per se.

Basically, one tooth up front ain't gonna hurt anything. Tire choice
has more effect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did a bunch of miles on the trails in Michigan with 15T front and stock rear gearing. I think it did fine. I never wished for lower gearing at any point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. That seems to be the consensus. I have yet to get "offroad" with it, but I'm sure it will be fine.
Now, I just wish it wasn't noisy. I know for some it isn't a bother, but it can annoy me. I'm thinking of trying the rear 43 and stock front. Word is that this is the same gearing as the 15T front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did not notice any increase in noise either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my local motorcyclery do it, so I trust it was put on correctly.
Some hear the noise, some don't. Supposedly it is because there is no rubber on the 15T to dampen the noise.

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
FWIW - on all three of my V650s, when I replaced the OEM 15T front rubber-damped sprocket w/ a plain steel one I have NOT noticed any change of noise, etc., and that's ALL I've used since, and that's over a total mileage on the three V650s of 170,000+ miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, don't know what to say. On the other thread about gear changes, I believe there are some other people with noise. Maybe it's a perception thing per person, all I know is that I hear some difference and I'm assuming that nothing went awry with the install. Doesn't seem like something hard to do for a dealer, so I expect it to be right.

Bike performance difference is still great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts