Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a loop out of San Fran along 108 and back. I can only have one... which should I choose. Hwy 4, 88 or 50 for the route back?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I went over the 88 by cage last Saturday - it was clear. But Sunday they were all snowed, chains only. I am not qualified to tell you which one to choose, but you can avail yourself of Caltrans website to check highway status before you depart. This time of year it's very weather dependent...and frigging cold.

I just checked highway 108 and the website says:

SR 108
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM 7.2 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY TO 5.3 MI WEST OF THE
JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS
ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW
TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 7 MI EAST OF LONG BARN TO 7.2 MI EAST OF STAWBERRY
(TUOLUMNE CO)

Of course you didn't say WHEN you are going...now that I think of it.:forgetit:

·
Registered
875 Posts
On A bike? 50 is the most used and has the most snow removal. Personally I’d stay away from all those roads on a bike unless there are bone dry and or well above freezing. There's been ten foot snow fall reported in summit area. In summer & good weather 4 or 88. In an auto any of them after checking roads conditions. We road dual sport last weekend and there was frost and snow @ 2.8K elv and lower early morning it's been icy before it warms up. Snows one thing but frost or black ice on a bike is a recipe for a fall and at least a tight splinter all day.

http://video.dot.ca.gov/asx/d3-Jct89-50.asx

I am doing a loop out of San Fran along 108 and back. I can only have one... which should I choose. Hwy 4, 88 or 50 for the route back?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am going the end of March, and on my bike... so I want the better motorcycle road!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hwy 50 is an interstate albeit two lane at the summit. Riden 88 a few times very nice throughout and pass some nice lakes and great vista up top. Never riden or been on Hwy 4 before. When I investigate routes I look on google with terrain feature clicked on and look for the deapest canyons and highest evelations, to try to find the most dramatic scenery. In the spring either 4 or 88 got to be nice.
Cheers!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am going the end of March, and on my bike... so I want the better motorcycle road!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts