Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this two second electrical buzzing sound coming from the middle front of the bike when I turn the key on. It sounds a little like sizzling bacon, and only lasts a few seconds. It isn't the gas pump because the tank is off. otherwise everything seems to work ok. I haven't started the bike yet as I am derusting the tank. I'm positive this isn't normal. Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
199 Posts
All fuel injected bikes have the feature of turning the fuel pump on for 2 seconds when ignition turned on....... but check again with the kill switch in OFF, see if you still have the buzz.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All fuel injected bikes have the feature of turning the fuel pump on for 2 seconds when ignition turned on....... but check again with the kill switch in OFF, see if you still have the buzz.
They all do, but most don't have any sound with the tank off. For sure none of my 25 or so previous fuel injected bikes did. That is one strange sounding fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
2020 Gen3 650
160 Posts
It's the servos in the secondary throttle bodies, and probably a couple of other electronics doing their startup initialization procedures. Completely normal for a modern bike with fuel injection, ABS, computer actuated throttle bodies, and all kinds of other electronic gizmos onboard.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the servos in the secondary throttle bodies, and probably a couple of other electronics doing their startup initialization procedures. Completely normal for a modern bike with fuel injection, ABS, computer actuated throttle bodies, and all kinds of other electronic gizmos onboard.
Like I said, with the tank off none of my other bikes made this kind of noise. I tried it with the kill switch off, same noise. Listening closer it sounds like it is coming from the left side throttle body. It isn't a clean buzz or click, it sounds like a Tesla Coil uneven rattily buzz.

·
Registered
2020 Gen3 650
160 Posts
Like I said, with the tank off none of my other bikes made this kind of noise. I tried it with the kill switch off, same noise. Listening closer it sounds like it is coming from the left side throttle body. It isn't a clean buzz or click, it sounds like a Tesla Coil uneven rattily buzz.
I know what you mean, mine makes the same sound. Mine is a 2020 that I bought brand new off the showroom floor with 6 miles on it, and it makes that noise.

If the bike is functioning correctly, don't go looking for a problem where there is none.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean, mine makes the same sound. Mine is a 2020 that I bought brand new off the showroom floor with 6 miles on it, and it makes that noise.

If the bike is functioning correctly, don't go looking for a problem where there is none.
That's the thing, I have not started it yet. I am waiting on a replacement fuel pump. But that buzzing is, to say the least unique. I'll record it and post it later.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the noise mine makes. Mine runs great but maybe another user will recognize that as an issue.
A guy on FB confirmed it too. Strangest normal noise on a bike I have ever heard, but I am glad it is normal. One guy said it is the throttle body adjusting, and another posted his own video doing the same. I can say for a fact that my 2015 BMW R1200GS, my 1996 BMW K75 and my 2013 Can Am Spyder don't sound anything like that. None of my previous bikes did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts