Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues riding at 70 -75 mph? I do not own a V but i have heard some say that there is some discomfort at highway speeds. I am thinking about buying one and i want all the info i can get. Any thoughts? Thanks, and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just rode for roughly 120 miles around utah on the alpine loop today, and I haven't had any issue with uber vibrating grips... I mean, yeah all motorcycles have some vibration, but nothing absolutely major. I'm the only one with a Versys in my riding "group" everyone else has hondas (honda shadow 1100) and harleys (harley streetbob), and those bikes have way more handle vibration than the Versys. But then again, that's just my opinion and others may differ.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We just rode for roughly 120 miles around utah on the alpine loop today, and I haven't had any issue with uber vibrating grips... I mean, yeah all motorcycles have some vibration, but nothing absolutely major. I'm the only one with a Versys in my riding "group" everyone else has hondas (honda shadow 1100) and harleys (harley streetbob), and those bikes have way more handle vibration than the Versys. But then again, that's just my opinion and others may differ.

I have a slight vibration around 5 thosand rpm, but before and after that, it's really not that noticeable. Nothing compared to cruisers.

·
Registered
699 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah that's probably why I don't notice any vibe cuz I've got a pretty decent set of gloves. But seriously, compared to my buddy's Harley, the Versys has go practically no vibration.. And yeah, at like 5k rpm the engine is goin so there is bound to be a lil but noooooooooothing major. Like everyone says the Versys is a badass bike.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not so much for vibration, but for more softness, I put some spongy tennis racket grip around my grips.

The tennis grip goes and off very easily. I like the thumb/pointing finger area a bit bigger in diameter which makes it easier to control the throttle as I cover the brakes when needed.

It does help though on all day rides with the hands feeling less tired.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've got some foam grips that look like beer coolers that your wrap around your grips. It feels to me like the grips are undersized - but I know that can't be because the handlebars are standard. Maybe my old grips on my BMW had a larger diameter. These along with some good gloves always helps. I added a crampbuster and that has helped out a lot. The only thing I feel that I could use is a litte bit more angle on the handle bars towards me. Other than that I'm totally happy with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I currently ride an 1100RT BMW and i have some vibes at 75-80 mph at 3500-4000 rpm. Are you serious comparing any motorcycle to a HD as far as vibration goes. All those bikes vibrate bad at any rpm. You are paying for a name chrome and 8 coats of polished paint and nothing else except image. At least with a BMW you get durability, reliability, and current technology with inovation that is proven. Before you ask i am keeping the BMW. Thanks again for the info it helps. Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you serious comparing any motorcycle to a HD as far as vibration goes.
I was pretty much just trying to prove a point on the fact that all bikes vibrate, and the only way to get ride of the vibrations is to remove the vibrating portion of the bike... AKA the whole motor.

At least with a BMW you get durability, reliability, and current technology with inovation that is proven.
I'm pretty sure every Kawasaki, BMW, Harley, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, etc owner would say something similar about their bike(s). Otherwise everyone would be trading their bikes in for something they absolutely love. And I'm betting almost everyone in this forum feels that way about their Versys due to the fact that it is a seriously badass bike...

All those bikes vibrate bad at any rpm. You are paying for a name chrome and 8 coats of polished paint and nothing else except image.
Only 8?
:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All those bikes meaning Harley's. I think the Versys is awsome and i just might buy one. I am just personally not a fan of the Harley's. They are overpriced for what you get. That is old technology, no standard features like abs or even a tool kit on some bikes. The only reason they have improved is because of japanese electrics an european brakes. For God sakes in 2003 for the anniverssary Sportster, i read in a magazine that Harley has discovered a gasket that won't leak...... WHAT! In 2003 a gasket that won't leak. C'mon, give me a break! I love Japanese and European bikes! NOT HARLEY DAVIDSON!! I also think Victory is making a nice product. I am serious about 8 coats of paint! I just read that in a mag not that long ago. Don't get me started on HD. I love the looks of HD. That's as far as it goes. Ride one and they are not real motorcycles. By the way Indian was the original American motorcycle company. They came out 1901, with the design HD is famous for. Sorry ...just can't understand the facination with HD. Let's keep talking about the Versys. Much better bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just passed the 700 mile mark on my V and I love it. I put about 60 miles/day commuting to work at highway speeds and have no issues whatsoever at 70-75 mph. Having been a previous HD owner, I looked at the Buell 1125 touring model. The "deal" the dealership was willing to make on the Buell was to waive the assembly fees and sell at MSRP...wow for 14K I can buy 2 Versys. I opted for the Versys and put on some Givi saddlebags.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I always had tapered aluminum handlebars (Tag Metals T2) on my V, and have no buzzing problems whatsoever, even without the bar-end weights. Mirror image is also always clear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you find the Grips are too skinny...I used some I think it was 1" clear Tubing and then installed Rally Pro Grips over top of them. Took the Buzz out of the KLR and easier to run throttle and Brake with heavier gloves on too! As far as bashing other Bikes......Don't we have more fun things to do, LIKE RIDE! Yes they all vibrate to some degree, and, I think quite a few people buy Bikes thinking of the COOL factor and not taking into account that it is sometimes a rugged way to travel. To me this explains so many Bikes for sale with low mileage! I have to say that I wasn't totally impressed with my ride Home on my V either, but, it wasn't set up control wise where I was comfortable. A few minutes in the Garage fixed that up quite nice. Now I'm impressed! Enjoy what you have, and make it your own if you want, but it takes all kinds to make the World go round and what might be a vibration to one might be the feel of a normal beautiful parallel twin that gets the job done quite nicely???? just my thoughts on this. Sorry if I got off on a rant, but, this My Bike is better than your Bike stuff I see in here and every other Forum just kinda turns me off! If I see you on the Road I will wave and if you are heading in the same direction as I am I will deffinately give you a go to see what shes got. None of them are perfect so why pretend?

·
Registered
38 Posts
On trick I was told would help with vibration is filling your handle bars full of silicone. I have tried this and I can't really tell a difference, but the slight vibration doesn't bother me anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mountainrider is right, only girls complain

:D love this bike! super smooth in my opinion. My wife rode with me and said "do you feel those vibrations?" !!!!! I laughed my ass off - girls really do complain about the vibrations :cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well let me put my panties on. To me the versys is like riding a big ole vibrator at 4000 RPM's. It's no worse that my V Strom at 3800. But my hands and my behind go numb after about 45 minutes. I've tried everything, the bike did not do this until about 3000 miles. Dealer says "that's a parallel twin". I just threw up my hands and gave the bike to my son, went back to my R1200RT, which has no vibe (at twice the price).

It will vibrate at 4000 rpms, sitting in the garage in neutral, so it's not road or faring buzz.

Let me define vibrate... an ultra high frequency buzz, just like a back massager, smooth at idle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wear Texport gel gloves, smooth ride!
Before gloves, slight vibe, but not abnormal. I've been told switching to an aluminum handle bar would help, they said the alum. absorbs vibes better than steel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts