Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
As the title indicates I'm in two minds. Looking at 2008/2009 models.
Hoping to find some "unbiased" opinions here.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info

47 year old South African. Lives in Saudi Arabia. Got a two month holiday in RSA coming up. Want to tour from Port Nolloth in the west - along the coast to Saint Lucia in the east. Also want a bike that is easy to jump on to the corner cafe. I'm 5 11' and 230 pounds. First thing I want to find out is if I'm gonna need more power? (I'm mostly over my racing years:D) Is a 2008/2009 with 15k miles still pretty good, mechanically? Rule of thumb, I mean.
Later

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think they are two very different type of bikes, so what are you looking for?
The Versys is more sporty (smaller wheels and wheel base), can do mild off road stuff.
The Vstrom is a good comfy long distance tourer. More room for two up, can carry more luggage, can do mild off road stuff.

·
Registered
670 Posts
otoh, i expect to be swapping out my versus for a v-strom. the right tool for the job varies with the job.

your description makes it sound like you want a road bike for solo travel. => versys.

I think they are two very different type of bikes, so what are you looking for?
The Versys is more sporty (smaller wheels and wheel base), can do mild off road stuff.
The Vstrom is a good comfy long distance tourer. More room for two up, can carry more luggage, can do mild off road stuff.

08/09 should be just fine, mechanically, for either bike. my versys is a 2009, it's as tight as a drum with something like 30,000 km behind it.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I would say it depends on your intended use and riding style. There are those Kawasaki fans who buy the Versys and try to turn it into a vstrom by adding huge windscreens, handlebar risers, Corbin seat and footpeg lowering blocks.

Both bikes have similar performance characteristics, but the Versys is definitely more sporty or supermoto than the vstrom. I would be happy with either one for touring purposes.

I say, search for both fully set up for touring, and choose the best one regardless of brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
V1klt

I can't imagine any other bike (that plays in the same ballpark as the V1000LT) getting higher owner likes. It really is a dream bike, capable in every way, especially when you consider it's price compared to other bikes. The ONLY negative I have read about it (from "pro" bike reviewers) is a bit of motor vibration or "buzzing" in the footpegs. Well, I can tell you I totally disagree with that statement. Sure, you can feel some vibes, but as far as I am concerned it is an extremely smooth running engine, and anyone who says they feel vibes is being way overcritical. Hope this helps. Jeff

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i personly liked the versys more (thats why its my main ride) more nimble, sporty but not too sporty. very very smooth... and mine has almost 36k miles on it

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sports-Tourer (Vs. 650) vs. Adventure-Tourer (DL650, at a premium cost)

You get a quantity discount with the Vs. 650 since same engine as Ninja 650, but with midrange cams (!!!). So the DL650 is a few more thousand dollars to ride off -road better. Most people ride street most of the time, and Vs. 650 will get you there faster.

Off road riding is a good way to tear up your motorcycle. It makes sense out West US or in Canada where you can shave off hundreds of miles, but even then, you will pay for it in bike damages unless you go REAL SLOW.

Be Safe no matter what you choose: both are good bikes.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
I would say it depends on your intended use and riding style. There are those Kawasaki fans who buy the Versys and try to turn it into a vstrom by adding huge windscreens, handlebar risers, Corbin seat and footpeg lowering blocks....
There was a video of a comparison among the Versys, Vstrom and another 650, back a few years ago. In it, they said that the STOCK V was BETTER off-road than the 'Strom.

...So the DL650 is a few more thousand dollars to ride off-road better....
See my above remarks. I'll bet that the V IS better off-road, due its nimble character! (I thought I had 'earmarked' that video, but I can't find it right now.)

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
There was a video of a comparison among the Versys, Vstrom and another 650, back a few years ago. In it, they said that the STOCK V was BETTER off-road than the 'Strom.

See my above remarks. I'll bet that the V IS better off-road, due its nimble character! (I thought I had 'earmarked' that video, but I can't find it right now.)

I don't consider either off road bikes. I rode my '78 550 four supersport off road, and my '85 shadow 700 did a little exploring, but I would never call them off road bikes.

The drz400 and xr650l are probably a little better suited for off road than any of the above bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought and rode a DL1000 for about 3 hours before I bought my Versys. It broke down, & I exersised my right to back out if something went wrong in the first few hours. Here is a pic.

I liked it, but It felt like it had about the same power & maybe a little less than the Versys 650. It cruises really nicely, but is not responsive or nimble. I can see it being good for commuting or long highway cruises with a load of gear (that's why I 'bought' it). You could probably feel the extra power of the 1000cc when going uphill at 85mph with a passenger. In all other scenarios, the Versys will probably win out.

The DL wheelbase is longer, it's taller, wider, and just feels like a large, heavy bike.

I cannot possibly imagine that bike being better offroad than a Versys - look at dirt bikes - do any of them look like Goldwings? No, smaller & lighter is better for off-road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts