Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's car is totaled.

It hasn't been wrecked, it has problems. It's a former Michigan car, then my parents bought it on Washington state, then gave it to my sister, who then sold it to us for $50. Long story short, it won't pass California smog, I've dumped about a grand into it already and it needs about 3 and more just to be a decent 19 year old car with 190,000 miles on the clock.

Um... No. No time to do the work, and I can buy a better car for that kind of money.

Except that I can't. Have you seen the private used car lately? It's like a punch bowl with turds floating in it.

One guy tried to sell me a salvage title Impala, and started talking REALLY fast when I plugged my scan tool into the OBDii port, another blew up my phone when I wasn't interested in his 260,000 mile Civic hybrid (it'll need a hybrid battery very soon @$1500-$2500)... Another guy just didn't show up to show us his car. He needed to go to Costco. He since removed his listing because too many scammers were calling him.

What a $#! %-show.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I can feel your pain car shopping is not fun especially when you have no time to shop and you really need one.Check out cargurus you can look at 100's of cars never having to leave your home. Most have muliple pictures with the carfax. Good luck.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can feel your pain car shopping is not fun especially when you have no time to shop and you really need one.Check out cargurus you can look at 100's of cars never having to leave your home. Most have muliple pictures with the carfax. Good luck.
Heh... The lowest the car gurus price filter goes is $7k. We're looking for something under $3k with no payments. Totally different kind of deal.

My wife is doing all the foot work on this, thankfully. I have absolute veto power as the person with professional car repair experience, but she only has to show me cars she likes and would like to drive.

She's looking at a Grand Cherokee later today. I kind of hope she likes it, because I get it when she's done with it. My 4x4 has been parked in my driveway since 2008 or something crazy like that. Parts for it are rare and expensive. Any jeep is way easier to build and repair. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Heh... The lowest the car gurus price filter goes is $7k. We're looking for something under $3k with no payments. Totally different kind of deal.

My wife is doing all the foot work on this, thankfully. I have absolute veto power as the person with professional car repair experience, but she only has to show me cars she likes and would like to drive.

She's looking at a Grand Cherokee later today. I kind of hope she likes it, because I get it when she's done with it. My 4x4 has been parked in my driveway since 2008 or something crazy like that. Parts for it are rare and expensive. Any jeep is way easier to build and repair. We'll see how it goes.
Whats your zip code . Im playing on the computer maybe we can find something .

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats your zip code . Im playing on the computer maybe we can find something .
I really appreciate the offer, but I'm leaving this to her. With everything the way it is lately, this gives her some kind of purpose. Since everything started, and the school she works at was closed... Going from making a difference in children's lives to staying home, avoiding nearly all human contact is taking a toll.

I complain only because this is really my only place to express these thoughts, I hope my thoughts are seen with the humor they are intended, and I really think we're all going a little bit crazy and maybe hearing me rant on about trivial things provides some opportunity for others to laugh at my silliness.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I really appreciate the offer, but I'm leaving this to her. With everything the way it is lately, this gives her some kind of purpose. Since everything started, and the school she works at was closed... Going from making a difference in children's lives to staying home, avoiding nearly all human contact is taking a toll.

I complain only because this is really my only place to express these thoughts, I hope my thoughts are seen with the humor they are intended, and I really think we're all going a little bit crazy and maybe hearing me rant on about trivial things provides some opportunity for others to laugh at my silliness.
I understand . Good luck and take care!

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
The reason i have the 2006 Xterra is that we were going to trade it in on the BMW 535d that we got the oldest boy back in 2014. But they only offered us $3500.00 on a trade and i decided to just keep since it was paid for and use it for when we have to pick up folks from the airpot and hauling bottled water home. But i would up driving it all the time. It has over 150,000 miles with general maintenance. Put a new battery in it 2 years ago and a new set of tires and brake pads last year

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
We have two cars that we bought new - a 2001 Nissan Maxima in AZ (imported from Canada) w/ 180K kms [112K miles], and a 2003 Mazda Protege5 in BC that has 141K kms [87,600 miles], so NO Plans to replace either in the foreseeable....

:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
7,676 Posts
The reason i have the 2006 Xterra is that we were going to trade it in on the BMW 535d that we got the oldest boy back in 2014. But they only offered us $3500.00 on a trade and i decided to just keep since it was paid for and use it for when we have to pick up folks from the airpot and hauling bottled water home. But i would up driving it all the time. It has over 150,000 miles with general maintenance. Put a new battery in it 2 years ago and a new set of tires and brake pads last year

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
I have one similar unit BMW 318i and recently the timing chain guide which is HD ABS gave way. I was looking at the design and would you belief , BMW put plastic guide under the timing chain and if it goes you strip the entire engine. Just waiting for time to dispose of this BMW thing. Better stick to Toyota Camry which has lasted 10 yrs with 500K km and just regular service at 10K km interval.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did the cherokee work out?
Dude had his kid sit in as a proxy, and lie about the problems the thing had. Bad window regulator that they said was just a switch, ac works fine when it clearly didn't work at all... Things like that.

She found a Corolla that she really likes, and they're smogging it tomorrow for her to pick up. I was looking at common parts that fail on those cars, and everything is pretty cheap. In fact, I can replace all 4 strut assemblies with kyb, stage 2 clutch and a pair of axle shafts for less than $800. That's pretty sweet. Plus, I've worked on lots of them.

Hopefully it works out.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
I have one similar unit BMW 318i and recently the timing chain guide which is HD ABS gave way. I was looking at the design and would you belief , BMW put plastic guide under the timing chain and if it goes you strip the entire engine. Just waiting for time to dispose of this BMW thing. Better stick to Toyota Camry which has lasted 10 yrs with 500K km and just regular service at 10K km interval.

I'm not a BMW fan but its is a sweet ride being diesel it should last awhile. He wanted a diesel and he was looking at a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and the price was over $70,000 sticker and i said no way would i pay that much for a Chrysler product and luckily he called his uncle that works at a McKenna dealership which is a large high end dealership out here and we got the BMW for $52,000 out the door which was a super deal....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up an '06 Corolla with a 5-speed. She likes it. I like it better than the crappy Subaru, but driving trucks for so many years has ruined me for cars with manual transmissions.

I keep floating gears, not fully disengaging, keeping my foot out of the clutch brake... I'm terrible at it now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know what you're saying. In the last year, we bought a car for my daughter who turned 16. We had so much bad luck trying to find a decent used car on Craiglist or marketplace. It was more stressful than it really needed to be. We ended up buying a 9 year old Accord at a dealership. Yeah, we paid more than we would have from an individual. When we bought a car for my son a few years back, the person we bought it from said they had the title. As we were handing them cash, they told us "well we don't actually have the title because we have a loan on it". Then in the process of getting the title from a bank three states away, it got lost. We did end up buying the car, but it was about a three week process.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was lucky never having the tranny problems that used to plague the Cherokees in certain years. Those costs and down time drove many of my friends away from Jeep. I also that the costs for the top of the line Jeeps was higher, but that is not true.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts