Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m coming down the road when I see this good natured soul trying to get a foot & a half long snapping turtle off the road.

In case you’re not familiar with snapping turtles, they are NOT like the cute little critters that you played with as a kid that were so shy they’d hide in their shell... Snapping turtles are like some prehistoric creature from the ”The Land that Time Forgot”. They’ve got wicked claws, incredibly strong jaws that’ll take a body part off and a remarkably nasty attitude!

And here’s this Good Samaritan standing there in shorts & thongs trying to shoo this little dinosaur away by poking it with a short stick... a short stick that’s getting shorter as Mr. Bad Ass Turtle is biting pieces off it!

So I decide that I better help out before one of them gets hurt, most likely the guy who’s headed for the nickname “nine toes”...

I put the kickstand down, take note that it’s a slight – slight – bit of a downward slope... and decide that `it’ll be alright'... And as I’m walking away from the bike I hear it hit the pavement!!!

A broken clutch lever & foot peg (replacements are cheap enough) , a rash on the radiator shroud (I was planning on painting it black anyway) and a nasty rash on the tank fairing (I was NOT planning on painting that!).

Oh well... I got careless, I screwed up... and I will have to pay the price... but at least the turtle’s okay :censored: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike, but that picture is awesome! :)

Glad to see your in good spirits about it. I wouldn't have gone near that thing, lol

Mike

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
... Glad to see your in good spirits about it. I wouldn't have gone near that thing, lol
Mike
You have to be really careful where you grab them. Too far back and they can get you with their hind claws (that's bad) but they have a surprisingly long neck, so too far forward and they can reach you with their jaws — and that's very, VERY BAD! :eek:

To be honest, I wasn’t in such good spirits at the time :censored: :mad: :censored: ... but I figure that I can’t `un-ring the bell’, so I can either let it gnaw at me :( ... or accept it, learn from it, and laugh it off! ;)

PS. The picture isn't actually THE turtle... but it looks just like him!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Very nice of you to stop and help the turtle and save them. Sorry about the V fall. I was wondering about the pic as I figured you would've taken a shot of the folks you helped as well (thongs).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice of you to stop and help the turtle and save them. Sorry about the V fall.
Thanks

... I figured you would've taken a shot of the folks...
I was really in no mood to take pictures at the time... but for just a moment, I did consider shooting the turtle!
:joke:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts