Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding the bike it has a burnt rubber or burnt plastic smell. I checked everything and don't see anything that would cause this.
Purchased a used 2016 LT with 1700 miles on it in early December.
I did an oil and filter change at 2300 miles, it isn't using any oil.
I've now have about 3000 miles on the bike.
Bike runs great, doesn't run hot and there are no warning lights on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
My 2014 does the same thing

I was thinking that it was chain lube on the muffler.

It hasn't caught on fire yet. That's a good sign.

lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
mine always gives off that burnt smell after changing oil/servicing... goes away after a few hundred kms... :)

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
2015 650 abs

After riding the bike it has a burnt rubber or burnt plastic smell. I checked everything and don't see anything that would cause this.
Purchased a used 2016 LT with 1700 miles on it in early December.
I did an oil and filter change at 2300 miles, it isn't using any oil.
I've now have about 3000 miles on the bike.
Bike runs great, doesn't run hot and there are no warning lights on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks
Thank you for posting, if you followed my thread on Thermo Bob, you would see I installed a #4. I have my bypass line going over the top of the engine, I too smelled the burnt rubber, figured it was my mods as the bike runs @190'F ,couple times I was looking for glycol / leaks, could be something with the mounting of the engine. Maybe one day the motor falls off>:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
dry and slack chain rubbing on the chain guard of the swing arm (upon engine braking, often just before getting off the bike).

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2011 has the same smell. I've always thought that it is dirt and road grime kicked up on the the front of the engine. When I wash the bike and clean the engine with some good foaming cleaner/de-greaser the smell goes away. The smell seems to stay away when the roads are dry but after I ride in the rain again the smell comes right back. Our roads here are pretty dirty with dead leaves and such, also lots of sandy grit they put down for traction when we've had ice and snow. The fender extender only helps a little mostly up by the radiator. The bottom of the engine still gets pretty dirty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts