Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
ok, perhaps my confusion lies in the difference between the terms windshield buffeting vs helmet buffeting. I can definitely feel buffeting inside my helmet. on my last ride with V1000, I was too lazy to lift my windshield to its highest position, and I experienced quite a bit discomfort inside my (Shoei) helmet, even with ear-plugs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I made an interesting test regarding buffeting which keeps baffling me. So the way to test if the windscreen is contributing to the turbulence inside the helmet is to stand up on the footpegs. And indeed, there is a difference between the regular wind coming to the inside of your helmet and the actual buffeting. I found so far that the OEM screen works better in its highest position.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Givi Airflow plus spoiler is bliss. No noise whatsoever and I can adjust the spoiler to send a blast of air in my face if it's hot. Very happy, even despite the super goofy look. My only regret is that I should have tried this first!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I made an interesting test regarding buffeting which keeps baffling me. So the way to test if the windscreen is contributing to the turbulence inside the helmet is to stand up on the footpegs. And indeed, there is a difference between the regular wind coming to the inside of your helmet and the actual buffeting. I found so far that the OEM screen works better in its highest position.
Givi Airflow plus spoiler is bliss. No noise whatsoever and I can adjust the spoiler to send a blast of air in my face if it's hot. Very happy, even despite the super goofy look. My only regret is that I should have tried this first!

View attachment 180630
View attachment 180631
it looks cool. I was tempted to get 1, but from my google search, they do not have it for the new models.

·
Registered
125 Posts

View attachment 180630
View attachment 180631
LOL... the windscreen on my Gen II 650 was a noisy buffetting PITA too in all 3 positions.

I cut two strips off the top of my screen and made "deflectors" out of the two strips.
also I drilled a pair of extra holes so I could "rake" the windscreen more as well.
It has smooth air flow and quiet now... tested to an indicated 197kmh.

Total cost... less than $1.

The aluminium was "recycled" scrap.
The tube was just commercial grade aluminium, but the sheet I made the mounts with,
is 2024-T3 aircraft aly... I reckon commercial "5050" aly would be good enough though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
it looks cool. I was tempted to get i, but from my google search, they do not have it for the new models.
Officially, they don't but it's easy to change via drilling out the holes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Officially, they don't but it's easy to change via drilling out the holes.
it as a bit of a risky business to drill new holes, as the original holes are placed in the parts of the windscreen that has different, inwardly orientated, shape...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
it as a bit of a risky business to drill new holes, as the original holes are placed in the parts of the windscreen that has different, inwardly orientated, shape...
You're not drilling new holes

·
Registered
371 Posts
for now I got this windshield deflector from China, and it seems to make a big difference from my initial trials. it also looks very cool. is it generally better to orientate the deflector more horizontally?
spoiler.jpg

61 - 71 of 71 Posts