Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
i don't really understand what that story about buffeting is. as long as I don't feel that my head is going to fall off, I am content with the windscreen:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don’t think I’ll need the Givi until much later in the year.
And even then, unless it is pouring down rain, a heated vest or jacket liner works wonders in the winter.
I am not a fan of huge screens at all and cant believe what a revelation it has been either with no screen or a minimal flyscreen.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I will try the OEM screen for my next trip. I also do not like huge screens, as they impede the vision.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I went with the MRA touring screen. Way less buffeting than the stock screen.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You should also try it without a screen at all.
Riding without a screen creates too much pressure on my neck. I can lose my head :). also, the protection against rain is important to me. I get often caught in heavy rain showers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Riding without a screen creates too much pressure on my neck. I can lose my head :). also, the protection against rain is important to me. I get often caught in heavy rain showers.
Ah, gotcha.

·
Registered
396 Posts
and what about the OEM spoiler or wind deflector for the stock windshield. i saw that some members here have it on their bikes.

I have something similar on my Versys 1000. I forgot what is the brand name, but it works nicely and is relatively small.
shield v1.jpg
screan 2.jpg
screan 3.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I do go sometimes for short trips with crf250 without a windshield, but not riding very fast. With my Vulcan S, that I just sold, going above 130km/h was uncomfortable without the screen, and getting to 150 was creating unbearable pressure on my helmet. Having some windscreen is needed for Adventure bikes, unlike the sportbikes, due to the upright position. Well, Vulcan S is not an adventure bike, but in cruisers, the windscreen is even more needed due to sitting more back with legs forward. The way I see it, the wind pressure on the head is a bigger of a problem than buffeting.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ps. I fitted back the OEM windscreen and even though I wrote before that it is ugly, now I started to like it. It fits more with the sporty shape of the bike. I will see how much protection it provides. with Puig screen, it was like riding a car, looking through a window, and I hate riding cars...

But coming back to the topic, is there much buffering in the OEM screen or not? I am not that sensitive to that buffeting thing, so I will pay closer attention to it on my next trip...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I need to clarify, it's not really buffeting, it's more of a low-frequency noise.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
SUCCESS - Givi Airflow for the win. Well, sort of. I installed it then went for a ride - better, but still that weird low-frequency "buffeting" - so I reinstalled the angled nylon spacers to angle back the stock brackets. It's just about perfect this way. I have it set to a pretty low setting which works well for me. Too high and I get undesirable wind noise. It's not very attractive but I don't really care at this point - just glad to have found something that works for me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am wondering, how you guys can feel low-frequency noise due to the windscreen buffeting? I was just the other day on a long trip, and all I could hear was the annoying sound in my helmet (and I have a good helmet). So I just put ear-plugs not to lose hearing, and then what I heard was a combination of the exhaust and wind in my helmet. just a suggestion - maybe buffeting is only a myth?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I am wondering, how you guys can feel low-frequency noise due to the windscreen buffeting? I was just the other day on a long trip, and all I could hear was the annoying sound in my helmet (and I have a good helmet). So I just put ear-plugs not to lose hearing, and then what I heard was a combination of the exhaust and wind in my helmet. just a suggestion - maybe buffeting is only a myth?
lol it is FAR from a myth. It's a very real thing.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts