Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Buffeting - how to fix?

21K views 75 replies 21 participants last post by  Kris 
#1 ·
I'm 6'1" on a 2019 V650LT. No matter where I adjust the windscreen, I get buffeting around my full-face helmet. Super loud and annoying. I wear earplugs too!

When I stand up on the pegs, I get super clean and quiet air. That's what I want.

What can I do besides removing the windscreen altogether? Cut it down shorter? Something else?

#2 ·
I'm 6'1" on a 2019 V650LT. No matter where I adjust the windscreen, I get buffeting around my full-face helmet. Super loud and annoying. I wear earplugs too!

When I stand up on the pegs, I get super clean and quiet air. That's what I want.

What can I do besides removing the windscreen altogether? Cut it down shorter? Something else?
You can buy wind deflector, i have this one: (I am 180 cm height and this help me 99% to solve buffeting, but I thinking about buying GIVI windscreen)

Or you can buy this windscreen from GIVi:

You can see that dimensions of this windscreen and compare to OEM.
There are more aftermarket windscreen, but that will tell you other members because I know only for GIVI.

#3 ·
I'm 5'10".

I had the same problem, so I got a Madstad windshield. They have different heights available.

Note the aerodynamics of the windshield isn't to block the wind but to create a smooth flow, which will be at a lower velocity. At the right height and angle it should give a smooth flow for a given speed. Cross winds will confound it, though. A taller windshield like the Madstad will help quite a bit.

There will always be a turbulent zone. The tradeoff is to either have a lower windshield and have your upper body and head in the full force of the wind, or have a taller screen which keeps you in the smooth air but have more drag (lower gas mileage and lower max speed).

I did find that a different helmet also reduced the buffet.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I'd really prefer to have clean air in my face, I don't mind it at all. I get no buffeting at all in clean air with my helmet. I might try cutting the stock shield down and maybe look into a different taller windshield for long journeys. I mostly use my Versys around town/commuting.

#7 ·
I'm 6'3 with the 2017 650LT and I had buffeting no matter what I did with the stock screen (highest, lowest, upside down, remove completely). I got the Puig Touring screen to replace the stock and I keep it on the highest setting. I went with the Puig instead of Givi as I read the Givi also blocked wind on the arms and I'd prefer to keep that but never tested myself. Buffeting is like 95% gone with Puig at the highest setting. I mainly run into it when in some areas that have a constant high wind going against me combined with California freeway speeds. In those cases I just hunch down a little if it starts to bother me and it is fine.

#10 ·
Went for a ride today with the windscreen removed - PURE BLISS. Super super happy with it off. I cut down the windscreen tonight and will try again soon as pictured below - it's really just on there for aesthetics now. Although if it doesn't work out I will fill the slits/gaps in the meter cover with strips of textured ABS from underneath to complete the naked look. Of course, when it gets colder here in Chicago (I ride year round with heated grips and heated jacket/pants/insoles/gloves), I will look into the Puig touring screen or perhaps the eBay knockoff of the Puig.

#11 ·
Just went for another ride and was still getting some undesirable wind noise. Better, but still undesirable. Can't really cut the windscreen down any shorter and I love feeling the wind at my chest and clean air at my helmet so off it came again! Filled in the gaps in the meter cover with some heat-molded ABS. The perfect summertime setup!

#20 ·
Do you have a full on shot with the screen removed?

I think wind buffeting and noise can be a deep discussion where helmet, height, hearing protection, comfort are all factors. Glad you found a solution.

At 6' I went with the Puig and run it all year round. Hot or cold. I wear mesh but also hydrate on the fly with a camelback. Ride in temps over 110. Not so bad so long as you are moving. Sweat evaporates lol.

But again I would dig seeing the bike with the screen off. That is a clean install with the fill pieces.

#24 ·
I ride 90% of the time with the v47 top case and stock side cases. I figure when I get pulled over they give me a pass because I look like a traveler not a hooligan.

After riding with the cases my friends don't recognize the bike on first glance.

Thank you SS7. That front end looks awesome! I wouldn't mind swapping the front screen off just to see how it feels/looks.

#29 ·
Now trying a Puig. I also tilted it back to proper angle to somewhat match the forks by drilling the rear mounting hole larger, adding nylon spacers that I sanded down at an angle, and switching to socket cap tapered hardware to allow for proper torque contact. The front screw is not tightened all the way in the second picture by the way.

#37 ·
I also tilted it back to proper angle to somewhat match the forks by drilling the rear mounting hole larger, adding nylon spacers that I sanded down at an angle, and switching to socket cap tapered hardware to allow for proper torque contact.
I also tilted the windshield but not as much as you did... and buffeting is gone! Now I can ride highways for hours at any speed and just enjoy the ride! :cool:

#30 · (Edited)
Took several rides tonight with the Puig. Tilted brackets, stock brackets, low, high, extra high (moving the track above the brackets), didn't matter - horrible low-frequency noise and I wear NRR 33 foam ear plugs too. I must have a super long torso or something. It would take a ridiculously high screen to do the trick. When I tucked behind the screen on the highway it was fine but the seating position was ridiculous on the Versys. Something I noticed - the tilted brackets were slightly better than the non-tilted brackets. Doesn't matter though, nothing I did could alleviate the low-frequency buffeting noise.

Back to naked again, what a relief. Nice and quiet now. I guess the last screen worth trying would be the Givi Airflow, since that one supposedly sends the air high over the rider's head. Or maybe a Madstad.

#31 ·
I need to clarify something - the low-frequency buffeting noise or whatever you want to call it was so bad that I literally couldn't hear myself talking. Unbearable. At one point I thought about taking off the windscreen and stuffing it in my jacket to ride home - that's how bad it was for me. Never been on a bike that has caused this much frustration over a windscreen!

#35 ·
FWIW, I have similar buffeting issues on my 2015 and I’m no where near as tall as the OP. I’m 5-7 maybe but with 32” inseam. I’ve tried the stock windscreen in different positions, added a “spoiler” to the stock windscreen, nothing eliminated the buffeting completely. I have bought a Givi barn door windscreen for winter and with it set in the highest position, no buffeting. But this is insufferable for summer riding although I’m getting better at riding standing up....so I can cool off. So I’m gonna try taking off the windscreen and try semi-naked for a while and see what effect that has on the comfort level of riding in the heat. I can certainly use the extra wind flow to my helmet.

#36 ·
OK so I tried a 24" clear Madstad. Very cool adjustment system. Unfortunately the buffeting/low frequency noise was just as bad as the Puig, no matter the height or angle I set it to. Madstad is a great company that offers returns, very grateful for that. Great customer service. I guess the last one to try is the Givi Airflow, but I'm hesitant now that nothing has worked.

#39 ·
I was finally able to ride my 2015 without the windscreen today and I liked it. Not a windy day here so I have no idea what effect wind will have. I didn’t do a 4 lane run so I don’t know how auto and truck turbulence will feel. But for today, it was enjoyable. First time to ride this bike with out some buffeting at some point annoying me. The fairing/cowls blocked basically my torso leaving my shoulders and helmet in clean air. I don’t think I’ll need the Givi until much later in the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.