Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 Versys -

Well, my new pretty Versys is no longer unscarred. The kickstand failed me - not to mention my own carelessness - and the bike fell on the kickstand side :( the cowling is scratched a little and and little cracked - no big deal - the only real damage is a broken in half clutch lever (still useable).

Do I need to buy just a new lever, or a whole "lever assembly"?
Is this a difficult repair? any pointers for DIY?

I checked over all the systems, felt the handle bars still tight with the wheel, and did a 20 mile ride with no apparent problems. Any concerns I should be looking for on the bike now that it was dropped?

Many thanks! :thanx:

·
Registered
73 Posts
My V dropped on the same side, however I was nearly run off the road. Same thing here, clutch lever was bent and half snapped off after I tried to ...re-bend...it. It is only like $10 to buy a new OEM lever, and with the shop manual, it is a fairly simple 10-15 min replace at most. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Bad luck struck me to on Saturday on my way home from a ride with dragonbreath and Deweybrian. I stopped to take a break tried to cut it to sharp into a parking space and dropped my v on the right side, I scuffed the bar end weight and broke the tip of the break lever no other damage done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know this won't help your current situation but for future protection; I have always left my bikes in first gear when parked. After shutting the engine off, I roll the bike forward to take all the slack out of the drive train then set the bike over on the side stand. That way it can't roll off the stand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st gear

Yes, that is a good idea -I was doing that when I first got the bike, then got lazy - that will teach me...........LOL:right:

·
Registered
199 Posts
in my moto cross racing days...good days....I would cut the clutch lever in half, then file down smooth for fast 2 finger shifting. works great. especially lining up for the tripple jumps!:devil:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah ha!

I knew there was a silver lining to this, thanks Jimmy! Alas, I could not find any triple jumps for my V on last night's ride!!:grinangel:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's easy to repair broken clutch and brake levers, and they're stronger than original. Drill a 1/8 hole about 1/2 inch deep down the center of the two pieces. Cut a steel pin about 7/8" long. I use old spring pins, but a thick coat hanger or anything similar will do. Sometimes you have to bend the pin a bit so that the tip lines up with the rest of the handle. Use JB Weld to glue the pin into the holes and to fill the gap. Next day, sand it down and paint the handle with aluminum paint. If you're careful, the repair is invisible. New handles are cheap, but repaired handles are cheaper, and stronger.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Now I feel like I just wasted my money! This evening, I ordered new brake and clutch levers from cyclepartsnation.com (yes, my bike has been down on both its right and left sides and I am now sick of riding with bent/broken levers). Perhaps I should have just repaired them. Unfortunately, I have a bad association with JB Weld (it is a long story).

·
Registered
642 Posts
You should put a center stand on it so you don't have those problems any more.
The stand that failed when my bike fell was me in each case. Two (of the three) times that it fell over was after I had to perform a quick stop when someone pulled in front of me. The third time was when, at night, I put my foot down into a depression and couldn't stop the bike from leaning too far.

The Versys is my first bike and I have noticed that all of the incidents of me letting the bike fall over happened some time ago. I never replaced my levers figuring that I would just mess them up again. What do you know, but several months later I have not had the bike down again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking about the center stand, but I will most likely build one of those emergency stands out of PVC pipe that was described on this forum last year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
lol...you gotta be kidding me. 2 days ago, I'm doing a little videoing of my doing simple wheelies. I'm cutting a u-turn in front of my house, my rear wheel gets into the dewey grass and bike falls right over. ARRGHGHGHGH! lol...felt like a total idiot. Popped the clutch lever in half and now have a quarter-size scrape on left fairing.

lol...read the opening post and felt like it was me typing parts of it! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
I knew there was a silver lining to this, thanks Jimmy! Alas, I could not find any triple jumps for my V on last night's ride!!:grinangel:
HELL - you COULDN'T have been trying!!! :stickpoke:

Ed :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
You should put a center stand on it so you don't have those problems any more.
Wink, wink, - nudge, nudge! :type:

Ed :cheers:

PS Oh, BTW, a member here MAKES center stands. Can't remember who...? :goodluck:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The 09 levers have weak spots cast into them so that only the end will usually break off, leaving enough lever to get home on. The earlier ones don't have this. I wound up just putting Barkbusters on mine, which will address the lever concern.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i actually fell in love with the half-clutch lever...i even trimmed another inch off so i could keep my ring/pinkie finger gripped while clutching with middle/pointer. Liked how it felt so much that I called my local Kawa dealer back and told him to cancel my order for replacement lever. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Replacing lever only takes a couple minutes. Have done both without the shop manual. Just watch how it comes apart and away you go. I have actually kept both of my broken levers as spares incase I should manage to do worse damage at some point. They broke quite a distance from the pivot point and are still usable. I could not however find the broken off parts to try to fix them - darn! Maybe next time! (hope not)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best price for clutch levers is Kawasaki Parts Nation. Best price for brake levers is Rocky Mountain ATV and MC. They are only $20 and is the whole assembly just like OEM. RMATV-MC has clutch levers also, but they are black and cost the same as KPN.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts