Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still learning this camera and I have a very limited understanding of the editing software I'm using, so this clip has zero production value and just stops randomly, but it's a fun clip of the V on some twisties. Not sure why YouTube ate the quality on this one so much, I'll fiddle with encode settings, it's 1080p60. Should look great in full screen, but it kinda doesn't.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. Still tweaking white balance. Part of the issue is I use a chin mount, which means that it's looking down by default, too far down, so lifting the lens makes it gather a smidge too much light. No external mic available so all you hear is wind noise over ~50mph. This isn't the best section of road, it's just the first section of road from the ~30 minute ride, like I said, just fiddling.

Camera is a Xiaomi Yi with a custom script affecting everything from color saturation to bitrate, currently recording [email protected] It'll do 2k30 but I don't even have a 2k monitor.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks to you both. Still tweaking white balance. Part of the issue is I use a chin mount, which means that it's looking down by default, too far down, so lifting the lens makes it gather a smidge too much light. No external mic available so all you hear is wind noise over ~50mph. This isn't the best section of road, it's just the first section of road from the ~30 minute ride, like I said, just fiddling.

Camera is a Xiaomi Yi with a custom script affecting everything from color saturation to bitrate, currently recording [email protected] It'll do 2k30 but I don't even have a 2k monitor.
If you know where the Mic input is, get one of these: HOME OF THE ORIGINAL MICROMUFF TM I got one for my Contour and it makes a world of difference up to about 50-60MPH.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Ah a little Rage Against The Machine to wake you up in the morning....:smile2:

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is still some wind noise because of where the wind is deflected by the screen, but it's a huge difference.
That is remarkable. I wonder...for my Yi, the camera stays inside a waterproof case, somewhat like a GoPro. There is no mic hole in the case, the mic is on top of the camera. What happens is that the shutter button is on top of the camera via a waterproof, springloaded button. I believe it's getting air sounds through that, which is way way not flat but also necessary to easily start/stop recording w/o having to use the app.

Does that make sense? I can take a pic.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That is remarkable. I wonder...for my Yi, the camera stays inside a waterproof case, somewhat like a GoPro. There is no mic hole in the case, the mic is on top of the camera. What happens is that the shutter button is on top of the camera via a waterproof, springloaded button. I believe it's getting air sounds through that, which is way way not flat but also necessary to easily start/stop recording w/o having to use the app.

Does that make sense? I can take a pic.
It kinda makes sense, snap a couple pics for clarification.
The issue with what I call the "Go Pro Style" cameras that live in a case is that the case itself becomes a pickup for sound.
You could put the velcro circle for the Micro Muff around the shutter button and then attach the muff to it and still be able to work the button. Could be worth a shot for under $10.

For the Contour cameras, I've seen people put a fuzzy baby sock around the entire camera, just cutting out enough space to get the lens through and another cut on the side allowing access to the mounting points. That would look kinda dumb for a camera hanging off the chin of a helmet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See attached. The mic is actually under the retention clip but I think it's picking up air from the button still, but you're right it could just be general turbulence, that makes more sense.

imgur album

Also side question because I don't want to start a new thread---my "notifications" doesn't work for post quotes, says userlist.php isn't found. Anyone else seeing that?

·
Registered
481 Posts
See attached. The mic is actually under the retention clip but I think it's picking up air from the button still, but you're right it could just be general turbulence, that makes more sense.

imgur album

Also side question because I don't want to start a new thread---my "notifications" doesn't work for post quotes, says userlist.php isn't found. Anyone else seeing that?
I see now.
I would get a small sock, cut appropriate holes to allow for mounting and lens protrusion and see if that makes a difference.
If it does make a difference, I would see about affixing small pieces of foam over the two buttons (this would still allow them to function) and see if the wind noise is reduced.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good idea. That may also mitigate the lens fogging I'm getting when it's cold out. I've got some anti-fog inserts and they work great but they're kind of a pain in the weiner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts