Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently decided it was time to move away from the stupid fast/incredibly uncomfortable sportbike world and get something that I could actually cover some ground on with some gear.
I just picked up my new (to me) 2012 Versys 650 last weekend and have already passed the 1k miles mark. Armed with a 30L duffle and my backpacking tent, I made the 7 hour drive through Yellowstone and into Grand Teton National Park. I spent the next few days exploring the Jackson, WY area before cruising over Teton Pass and promptly getting stuck in a freak snowstorm 100 miles from home. I thumbed a ride home and drove the truck down to pick up the bike the following day. Now she gets a few days off while I'm stuck at my desk working, but heated grips and saddlebags are in the mail!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas. As you're discovering with age comes wisdom - upright and comfortable is much nicer than all hunched over and letting your wrists take all the weight. While living in England many years ago, my British friends described the then-popular boy racer riding position (complete with clip-ons and rear-set foot pegs), a monkey humping a football.

Reactions: 14healer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! I have the exact bike... black 2012. The V is a great choice.
I had a hard choice between a blue '09 with 5k miles a few blocks from me or the all-black '12 with 24k miles and a few upgrades that was 2 hours away. The more I look at it, I definitely think I made the right decision!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas. As you're discovering with age comes wisdom - upright and comfortable is much nicer than all hunched over and letting your wrists take all the weight. While living in England many years ago, my British friends described the then-popular boy racer riding position (complete with clip-ons and rear-set foot pegs), a monkey humping a football.
I'm only 24 but I'm already realizing that comfort goes a long way for actually riding my bikes. I might get another stupid fast bike if I move somewhere with access to a track, but till then, it's upright cruising and adventure riding for me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice ride. I have the 2009 650 and love this bike, I call it the Swiss Army knife. Thanks for the photo of the Tetons. My brother, cousin and I climbed the Middle Teton back in the day, and then couldn't leave the park before climbing the Grand. A spectacular place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the versys crowd.My wife and i drove through Yellowstone 12 years ago,and really loved it.We got there the day it opened in spring,never seen that much snow.A glorious time there,love to go back.South into Colorado we drove along the Poudre river road.The only road like a lot of roads here in New Zealand,50 miles? of nonstop twisties.One day Ill get back there on a bike,not a car.Loved Wyoming,all that wiiide open country.

Happy riding

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome! My son had always ridden sports bike himself. Then he rode the V650 that i had. After the end of the day. He replies, now I get what why you made the change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts