Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my break lever after dropping my bike in the driveway. It was bent like a fishhook. After trying to straighten it, I was successful in making it look like a well diciplined snake. I am tired of looking at this bad memory of a stupid mistake and I must redeem myself with a new lever. Here is my gripe. I looked up my faithfull bikebandit.com folks schematic of the 'V'. I found the clutch lever at about $11 and change. Then I found the right brake lever at $42 and change. I don't get it, almost 4x the cost of the clutch lever. What's up??? It cannot cost any more to produce the break lever than the clutch lever. Maybe a notch or a groove extra but 4 times the expense. I'm now thinking that I need to keep my old lever as a reminder of the money I am saving not the stupid mistake I made. How about aftermarket levers? Any ideas?... scott...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I need to replace my break lever after dropping my bike in the driveway. It was bent like a fishhook. After trying to straighten it, I was successful in making it look like a well diciplined snake. I am tired of looking at this bad memory of a stupid mistake and I must redeem myself with a new lever. Here is my gripe. I looked up my faithfull bikebandit.com folks schematic of the 'V'. I found the clutch lever at about $11 and change. Then I found the right brake lever at $42 and change. I don't get it, almost 4x the cost of the clutch lever. What's up??? It cannot cost any more to produce the break lever than the clutch lever. Maybe a notch or a groove extra but 4 times the expense. I'm now thinking that I need to keep my old lever as a reminder of the money I am saving not the stupid mistake I made. How about aftermarket levers? Any ideas?... scott...
I've went through this same process when I broke mine. And no, I have no idea why the front brake lever is more expensive.

1) You won't find the lever for cheap. Any online store (ron ayers, babbitts, etc. ) will have the lever for cheaper than the dealer, but they'll make up the difference in shipping. Unless you live in an extremely high priced area.

2) Aftermarket "pazzo" levers are approximately $180/set. Imagine breaking one of those! :eek: :eek:

I spent approximately 3 hours browsing the web for another compatible aftermarket lever and couldn't find a one... but I won't look at retailers in countries other than the US.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been told that the 650R and EX500 use the same levers. Try to find one of those on the cheap.
The kawa part number is 13236-1337 , if you do a reverse lookup on the part number on ronayers.com fiche, it shows that it is indeed also used on the 650R, but says nothing about the 500.

As far as whether the 500's will work, I don't know

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looking on RonAyers.com 's microfiche the 500R has the 13236 number but it ends in a 1185. I don't know if that is a way to designate a color or anything like that as I've seen that type of thing from Kawi in the past.

I do know that when I bought my Pazzo levers, the box was marked as "Versys, 650R and EX 500" so I'd be willing to give it a try as the bike has been around since the 80's and parts should be readily available. The numbers are slightly different though so it's up to you to try it if you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are other aftermarket levers available, some as cheap as $70 for much higher quality. Also, I believe pazzo guarantees their levers for life, if you drop or scratch they will repair for free, and some models are labeled as unbreakable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts