Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts

Hi there... I don't mean to come across as a dick, and I'm sure someone here will tell you. But honestly. If you have a new bike, you REALLY ought to read the owners manual.
Any proper rider will familiarize himself with that book before taking to the street!!!
Cheers :goodidea:
BiGo

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is considered break in period, mileage wise?
Thanks
Hi there,
As for myself,I followed the manual for all three of my bikes...
No racing of the engine while running in... First 800km was driven under 4k rpm... Did my 1st service, oil and filter change,then the balance 800km was driven under 6k rpm..
As for me, I will service again at 1600km... That is not in the book,up to you..

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep I did the Motoman break-in. Kawasaki says 600 miles and keep it below 5k rpm.

Not sure how that is even possible for a lot of us. I bought my bike 70 miles away and that was 65 miles of interstate driving that required 70mph just to not get run off the road.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Definitely read Motoman's article on break-in. Worked great on both and 09 V (now with over 15,000 miles) and a 10 V (with 2,000miles).

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah he is the one who suggests seating the piston rings within the first 1 mile of the engines life with some full throttle shabangs through the gears, right? i read that AFTER my 50 mile ride home, cruising at 55mph... F*$%*!!! then proceeded to seat them piston rings real good

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to do the Motoman break in but quit after my wife's Ninja 250 had a transmission gear seize on the shaft and break at 186 miles. The mechanic said it probably would have been fine if it had gone another 300 miles to wear in. I didn't tell him I flailed the piss out of it. Now I just break them in by riding normal. Kawi has some goofy stuff in their manuals for break in many bikes have the same info irregardless of engine type. Try riding a Ninja 250 at 4000 rpms.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
I've always broke in my cars and motorcycles by driving the way i normally drive and i've had plenty of vehicles. Never any problems with them just oil changes and tire rotations. Bought a 2006 Nissan Xterra put 75 miles on it then took off from Cali to Texas mid summer drove 25 hours only stopping for fuel and to eat. Drove over the speed limit the whole way. That car now has 90,000 miles and besides normal maintenance the only thing required was a set of tires and brake pads...

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi there... I don't mean to come across as a dick, and I'm sure someone here will tell you. But honestly. If you have a new bike, you REALLY ought to read the owners manual.
Any proper rider will familiarize himself with that book before taking to the street!!!
Cheers :goodidea:
BiGo
You might want to consider someone is buying a used motorcycle without a manual, that has low mileage. Hey, that would be me. Thanks for the friendly advice. Dick.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
And you might want to consider they may not know that. You could bring it up as it's relevant to your question... rather than telling someone they're a Dick cause they couldn't figure out your situation, that you should have explained with your question...

really, you shouldn't call others Dicks because you don't know how to explain yourself should you?
I thinked he inferred he may have been acting like a dick I was just agreeing with him

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 58 yrs. old had way to many bikes and broke them all in the way they were intended to use. change your oil after 50 miles and then take the oil pan out in the sun to see why. if it going to brake let it happen under warranty. enjoy the ride .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm 58 also and have also had way too many bikes. I have to agree with hop. I usually do an oil change at 100,500, and 2000 miles. Oh, I can be a dick at times also. LOL! Good luck with your new bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts