Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last March I've rebuilt all three callipers. I've replaced all the rubber bits but kept old pistons.

Around June back break starting jamming again so I've replaced rear calliper's piston.

Around October I see that brand new rear piston is all covered in rust but it's not seizing the break for most part

Here comes January and front callipers are jamming again :( Uneven wear and tear on one of them

The question is: what I could be possibly doing wrong in terms of break cleaning because surely this cant be annual must-do maintenance. The callipers are solid steel and cleaning part if pretty trivial - clean the piston of any rust and clean inner rubber seal groves as well as possible. Bleeding break fluid of any air is what royally annoys, I've done it bunch of times but its still a significant effort especially for the front breaks

There is some grit and salt on the roads during winter times but it's not something that should affect breaks much.

And the bike is 2010 versys 650

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Most important is brake fluid change, the root cause of failure. Also I found the hard way to not wash and park the bike, best to do a short even around the neighborhood and brake to generate heat . Wet rotors and wet brake pads = corrosion on rotors.
As to changing brake fluid, I have a really cheap vacuum brake bleeder from Princess Auto, I spent about $6 more and got good vacuum lines 3 feet long. My original kit was like $36 on sale, exactly like the amazon one;

·
Registered
585 Posts
yes, it is good to change the brake fluid at least every two years. some people never change it! also when you clean the calipers, it is good to pump the brake lever a bit, so that you can clean with a brush deeper part of the pistons; there is also a tool so you can rotate them around.

as the bleeding, nothing beats the speed bleeders which have one way valves. i fitted them on all my bikes. http://www.speedbleeder.com/
speed bleeders.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts