Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday I acquired a 2016 650LT. It's a special occasion since it's the first bike I've owned with a manufacture date after 1982. I'm no longer interested in spending any significant time restoring and maintaining old British Iron, (Triumph and Norton) or newer Japanese icons ('82 Honda CB900SS). Time to enjoy all the modern amenities and just ride. From all accounts I just purchased quite a machine!

Reactions: unstable_rider

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas. Enjoy modern!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fond San Antonio Memories (sort of)

Thanks for the welcome. I almost enjoyed my one visit to San Antonio. However, I was too busy with basic training at Lackland AFB to see much of your town. Maybe someday..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. Congrats on the new bike, I also purchased a 2016 V650 LT about a month ago and am really enjoying this great bike. I'm 66 years young and have never been without a motorcycle since the age of 15. Ive been a dirt bike rider as much as on the street but have almost given up serious tail bikes. I still have my BMW K100 but its getting some age on it so I researched as much as I could and decided on the V650 for my touring bike and am sure happy with my decision. This is the most fun bike I have had in years, with plenty of power and speed for my pace and handles perfect. My son lives in Nashville, Tn. so we have been planning some trips in Nashville/Chattanooga area so I'm looking forward to that also. Enjoy your new ride and take some time to get used to the V650 engine, IMO the 2 things I have noticed is that she doesn't really like it below 3,000rpm's in any gear, and has a lot of engine breaking that takes some getting used too. There is a lot of good information on this forum for about anything you can think of.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Enjoy your new ride and take some time to get used to the V650 engine, IMO the 2 things I have noticed is that she doesn't really like it below 3,000rpm's in any gear, and has a lot of engine breaking that takes some getting used too. There is a lot of good information on this forum for about anything you can think of.
Glad I read your reply. I am a 1st time bike owner (39 years old). Got 2017 versys 650 LT couple weeks ago. LOVE IT AND LOVE RIDING. Since she is my 1st, I had nothing to compare it to. The 2 things you mentioned above I definitely noticed and was wondering how that compare to other bikes. Especially engine breaking. The only thing I was able to compare it to is my car and boy does this 650 have tons more engine breaking. And ya, it is not happy with any gear below 3,000 rpms.

Be safe all, not sure why it took my all these years to become a motorcyclist!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget your Lackland lazer.
Can't forget Lackland, but what's this about a lazer? That word wasn't used much, if at all, in 1966:wink2:

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I get the comment about the 3,000 RPM effect and I also get the engine braking comment. Those will take some getting used to, but oh how sweet it is on the twisties!

Does anyone have advice to share, such as "don't forget to do this"..., or "watch out for that"... as far as the mechanical care of the bike? I have heard words like "bulletproof" when talking about this engine, but only Superman can claim that property. (yes, of course a kryptonite bullet would be a problem)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts