Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Brakes system

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Hardware 
#1 ·
Hey anybody done any brake work to their Versys?

I like the stock brakes but I noticed when I start on it pretty good the brakes fade.....

I seen on ebay wave "braking" rotors for VERY inexpensive compared to like the Galfer wave rotors. Has anyone tried them?

how about upgraded brake lines:
what did you go with and how do you like them?

#3 ·
WeekendWarrior

Are you refering to the back brakes. If it's the back brake then it is normal on the V, but the front is pretty good. Did some service on the back brake and replace with SUS braided line. So far good with Original V brakes.
Try bleeding the brake lines.

:goodluck::cheers:

#5 ·
Some of us on the forums replace the front pads to EBC HP pads. There were quite a few tread talking about this.

After I replaced the pad, my brake is now way better! :)

#8 ·
Replaced pads (Ferodo) and changed lines to braided stainless steel (Goodridge 2 full length front/rear) and took the time to bleed correctly. After that, there is no fade and the front brake lever feel is improved. I had an issue last year where I had to come to a panic (?) stop and my two little fingers were bruised by the lever because of the lines bulging. This is no longer the case. I very much recommend this upgrade. I find it amazing that ppl will buy pipes, windshields, seats, panniers, but won't upgrade brakes or add brake light modulators. I say safety first!

#10 ·
I find it amazing that ppl will buy pipes, windshields, seats, panniers, but won't upgrade brakes or add brake light modulators. I say safety first!

I agree about the upgrading parts if you are experiencing a problem...but if it aint broke why fix it....

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP
I find it amazing that ppl will buy pipes, windshields, seats, panniers, but won't upgrade brakes or add brake light modulators. I say safety first!

+1 on that, but its not abount not wanting to upgarde the brake system, its also the ablity to handle the upgrade.

:cheers:

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP

+1 on that, but its not abount not wanting to upgarde the brake system, its also the ablity to handle the upgrade.

:cheers:
I hear yah...some ppl don't have a garage or the tools or the knowledge/confidence to do it. But I'm here to tell yah...it's much easier than it may seem. I did it in my drive way in about an hour. Bleeding the brakes took the lions share of the time. VERY worth it. The front brakes are no longer a weakness of this bike after the upgrade. Did my first "stoppie" the other day after my son told me I rode like an old fart. :right: He was right to a certain extent...but a safe fart I shall be:thumb:

#11 · (Edited)
Hey anybody done any brake work to their Versys?

I like the stock brakes but I noticed when I start on it pretty good the brakes fade.....

I seen on ebay wave "braking" rotors ...
how about upgraded brake lines:...
FWIW, I haven’t done any track type braking with dozens of back-to-back very hard stops... but I have done a few semi-aggressive `laps’ on the back roads with a fair amount of pretty hard braking & not much time between the corners and I haven’t experienced any noticeable fade whatsoever. I also haven’t seen any issues with the stock lines, in fact this thing stops so well that I’m afraid to use more than 2 fingers. :)

I’d bleed the brakes thoroughly with fresh fluid to make sure there’s no air and/or moisture in the system before I’d start changing pads, etc.

[PS Edit]
I’m specifically talking about the front brake. My rear does feel a little mushy but I haven’t bled it yet so I don’t know if it’s air, line expansion or what...

#19 · (Edited)
You’ll never get the air out of the lines this way – it needs to be pumped thru – and you also don’t want to leave the master cylinder open for an extended period of time because (pre DOT 5) brake fluid absorbs moisture at a voracious rate. See the service manual for the proper procedure.

#18 · (Edited)
DOT 3 and DOT 4 are functionally very similar. 4 has a higher boiling
point, but motorcycle brake systems don't generate the kind of pressure and
temperatures that need it on the street, in general, although it certainly
won't hurt your system to put it in.

DOT 5 is very different--it's silicone based, doesn't absorb water, isn't
corrosive, is bad for some seals, is hard to bleed, and is not miscible
with 3 or 4. Stay away from it--it needs a system designed for it. And it
comes as stock item in Harley's, so it must be terrible. :->

DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 & DOT 4 (If I ever get hold of the
bonehead who named DOT 5.1...)

Here's more detail than you really want:

DOT3 is an aliphatic polyether.
DOT4 is borate ester based.
DOT5 is polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based).
DOT5.1 is borate ester based, thus its compatibility with DOT3 and
DOT4.

More information can be obtained from the following standards documents:

DOT3: SAE J1703
DOT4: FMVSS 116; proposed SAE standard J1704
DOT5: SAE J1705
DOT5.1: No SAE spec

If you are interested in obtaining copies of these standards documents, you
may order them directly from SAE at
http://www.sae.org/PRODSERV/STANDARD/gv/179.htm

According to DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards specification
49CFR571.116 (which refers to SAE documents J1703, J1704, J1705), the
minimum equilibrium reflux boiling point requirement in deg C for each is:

DOT 3 205
DOT 4 230
DOT 5 260
DOT 5.1 260

This shows that, all else remaining the same, DOT 5.1 has a significant
advantage in heat capacity over DOT 4. Note that these specifications are
for completely dry (no H2O content) brake fluid.

Of course, all else does not remain the same and other than boiling points
and H2O content (which is very detailed in itself), most other properties
were beyond the scope of testing/interest of my friend. Any other
information should be gained from SAE, DOT or other authority.

In other words....we should use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 NOT DOT 5!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.