Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without a stand has anyone damaged a brake rotor during a tire change?
What is the simplest (cheapest) way to avoid this?

Just wondering if I can just throw the tire on some cardboard and go to town or if I need to pay special attention to the front and back rotors.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a frame made with 2x4's on edge, built wide enough to support the rims. Rotor(s) stay(s) off the ground without issue.
Figured I was probably over thinking things, but didn't want to damage anything trying to be miserly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
I used a frame made with 2x4's on edge, built wide enough to support the rims. Rotor(s) stay(s) off the ground without issue.
I just lay a couple of 2x4 boards down, then lay the wheel on so the discs are clear of touching the ground.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just took my rotors off. Easy to do and no potential damage to rotors.

Randy

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I just took my rotors off. Easy to do and no potential damage to rotors.
When Juan at 3rd Wheel Trailers replaced and balanced my last tire, I had taken the rotor off. He requested that I leave it on for a more accurate balance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i have a harbor freight tire changer (cheap) with 2X4 base. when breaking the bead, the rotors are touching wood. when placing the wheel on the changer proper, i pad the bottom/rotor with abundant old towels. be aware that you COULD damage the rotors, but with a little prevention, they should be ok without taking them off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Use an old tire. Perfect fit and doesn't slide as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts