Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new HEL brake lines for the V. I got the dual lines from the master cylinder.

My question is on mounting them. Of course the directions tell me to have them professionally done. I have bled breaks before and feel this should be fine to do.

The package contains the 2 lines, 2 bolts for attaching to the calipers, 1 big bolt for attaching to the master cylinder, and 8 copper washers.

Doing the installation in my head the assembly order should be....
Master cylinder
Blot-washer-banjo-washer-banjo-washer-master cylinder`
Calipers
Bolt-washer-banjo-washer-caliper

I would guess I only need 7 washers, but don't know if I need to put the last one somewhere, or is it a extra?

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
I just got my new HEL brake lines for the V. I got the dual lines from the master cylinder.

My question is on mounting them. Of course the directions tell me to have them professionally done. I have bled breaks before and feel this should be fine to do.

The package contains the 2 lines, 2 bolts for attaching to the calipers, 1 big bolt for attaching to the master cylinder, and 8 copper washers.

Doing the installation in my head the assembly order should be....
Master cylinder
Blot-washer-banjo-washer-banjo-washer-master cylinder`
Calipers
Bolt-washer-banjo-washer-caliper

I would guess I only need 7 washers, but don't know if I need to put the last one somewhere, or is it a extra?
I think you got it right. Just do it and if it doesn't leak, you are good then.
:goodluck:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would check the spacing of the ports on the top bolt. You may need two washers between the top lines coming off the master cylinder just to line them up.

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
I would check the spacing of the ports on the top bolt. You may need two washers between the top lines coming off the master cylinder just to line them up.
Not recommended to have 2 washer mating each other as they will not flush seat properly, thus causing leakage.
Definitely NO on a brake line.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
"I would guess I only need 7 washers, but don't know if I need to put the last one somewhere, or is it a extra?"

You're correct in that there's an extra washer. I went outside at lunch and checked and installed my HEL lines just as you describe. I liked the change but did end up getting new pads as well later. Very happy with results.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. Got them mounted today. I dont know if I notice any performance difference, but I thought the stocks were good. I put them on because I needed to get rid of the line going over the fender.

Bleeding the brakes sucked. I got tired of the process and made myself a vacuum bleeder out of a hand siphon pump I had lying around.

When I thought I had most of the air out I was shocked at all of the air the vacuum got out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Got them mounted today. I dont know if I notice any performance difference, but I thought the stocks were good. I put them on because I needed to get rid of the line going over the fender.

Bleeding the brakes sucked. I got tired of the process and made myself a vacuum bleeder out of a hand siphon pump I had lying around.

When I thought I had most of the air out I was shocked at all of the air the vacuum got out.
I installed a set of Goodridge lines and Ferodo pads recently. If you don't notice a difference, more than likely you still have air in the lines. There was a HUGE difference after my install. And yes bleeding was a pain in the azz!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use a Vacula pneumatic bleeder. It's fantastic!

I just put on my brake lines. Installed Galfer SS braided lines and Galfer HH pads. I'll give them a try tomorrow.

I can tell you that every bike I've ever installed braided lines on showed an improvement in brake feel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts