Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah don't talk to me it seems like everything on the bike is original :)
Changed the front wheel bearings last week ant they also looked like original
I am waiting on a set of rear wheel bearings to arrive as I have a New rear disc and pads to go on and want to do both at same time
Also got new steering head bearings to do also

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine looked worse on my 08 versys 650 when I changed the brake fluid a couple of weeks ago. The bike only had 12700 km or about 8000 miles, but fluid was obviously 13 years old. The stuff in the reservoirs wasn't that bad, but the stuff in the brake calipers was black. The joys of buying used bikes, even with low miles, but really no maintenance by the previous owners. In my case the second owner had only put 500 miles on the bike, he had changed the oil, and put new tires on, but that was it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I just changed the brake fluid a few days ago. And a good quality fluid it was ATE. I really like that company. All I can say, that even though the fluid was only 1 years old, after the change the brakes work much better. Not sure how to describe it; something like their 'springy' action is much more responsive.

I know many bikers who NEVER change their fluid. They are just so unaware that things of that sort need to be done. Like they never change fork fluid, or run forever with an old engine oil. Some kind of a combination of lack of knowledge and imagination.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed the Rear wheel bearings today
€24 took a lot longer than I expected I would say that again these looked like the original bearings
The 2 bearings in the wheel were straight forward but the one in the sprocket carrier was a real battle
The circlip was rusted in place
Replaced the brake rotor and pads also the rotor was 4.2mm and badly worn
Tire Automotive design Automotive tire Wood Wheel

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Hard to believe there is a circlip under there :)

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
In future, the tip to removing the circlip is to drive the bearing in.

Reactions: Gerinemo

·
Super Moderator
20,744 Posts
Those pics kind of show the reason for having grease on those bearings (I ALWAYS put grease onto the bearings ANY TIME I'm "in there", such as tire changes). Pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those pics kind of show the reason for having grease on those bearings (I ALWAYS put grease onto the bearings ANY TIME I'm "in there", such as tire changes). Pretty cheap insurance.
Yeah having owned this bike for just over a year I am slowly doing all the work you would have expected to have been routine over the years
The parts are not that expensive so no excuse really
I have also received in the post the bearings and seals for the steering head so that's next on the list :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts