Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of the summer I pulled off my Bark busters and installed the Galfer front break line kit. The kit works a treat! It has started to get cold so I would like to put the Bark busters back on but I have discovered that the banjo fittings coming off of the reservoir cause a clearance issue with my bark busters. This cannot be an uncommon issue so I'm wondering if anyone has found a fix? I have noticed a few KTM guys run this part here:

http://www.barkbusters.net/products/105.html

But I have not come up with any evidence of if it will fit or not.

Any idea guys?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
you should be able to tell from how much interference there is, whether or not that piece will do what you need.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
can you post up a pic? might be a manner of cutting, grinding or moding,or just adjusting

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
This thread has come at the right time. The UPS fairy came yesterday with my Gaffer lines. Also have the Bark buster hand guards but have not installed yet.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm assuming that at least part of the issue with the SS Brake lines is two lines at the top banjo fitting as opposed to one with a crossover on the OEM setup. I don't have the Bark Busters but ran into a similar issue w/ my KTM brush guards.

The best solution for me was to fit the bar weight from the R&G bar sliders as a weight/spacer for my brush guards (thanks Davy F for the idea!) which let the guard clear the banjo bolt.
You can see that I did some cutting on my Givi 'winter' Screen to clear the guards at full lock.
:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
I just added GALFER front brake lines (two from the master to the wheel cylinders), and for now I've rotated the ZETA guards UP about 30 degrees, but I plan to get a "coupler", about 5/8" long w/ 5/16" threads, drill-out the threads, then add the coupler between the end of the guard (washer at EACH end) and the 'square' piece that attaches to the handle-bars, AND a longer bolt to attach it all together. SHOULD get everything "right", but we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Here are pics of the "clearance issue" between my ZETAs and the GALFER banjo fittings.

Here's what I used for my solution (tho' I was going to take a coupling and just drill out the threads...), bought at our local True Value Hardware store ($2.75)....

...and here's the finished product, w/ the guards at the SAME height...!

Hope this shows that there IS a solution. I also installed the rear GALFER line yesterday, and, I must say - I LIKE IT! I always use a bit of rear brake to 'settle the bike' as I add front, but NOW the rear brake feels HUGELY BETTER...!

:goodidea:

·
Registered
643 Posts
If I wanted steel lines I would just measure the stock lines, order that length steel lines, and duplicate the stock setup.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just put a set of barkbusters on my Versys - with the stainless steel brake lines with dual banjo bolts at the master cylinder. I routed the brake lines OVER the barkbuster mount, and didn't have any issues or need modifications.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Please explain.
if you do any amount of offroad riding the front fender can get ripped off if you get too much mud build up, this can take out your front brakes at the same time, or on some ocassions the brake line has kept the fender from coming off and instead locked the front wheel up at speed, vaulting the rider.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Zeta makes a longer mounting bracket available as a separate part. Fixed my Zeta clearance issue.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just put a set of barkbusters on my Versys - with the stainless steel brake lines with dual banjo bolts at the master cylinder. I routed the brake lines OVER the barkbuster mount, and didn't have any issues or need modifications.
I tried this and things do not line up. Going to try the coupling solution or maybe just leave my Barkbuster hand guards off as they seem to be of questionable benefit. They don't provide any noticeable increase in warmth or weather protection although they do protect the levers in a tip over.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Check my solution:
pic 1 - shows the double Galfers and my guards;
pic 2 - shows the spacer and longer bolt I bought at a hardware store; and
pic 3 - shows it all together w/ LOTS of clearance.

ALL for about $2....

:yeahsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Check my solution:
pic 1 - shows the double Galfers and my guards;
pic 2 - shows the spacer and longer bolt I bought at a hardware store; and
pic 3 - shows it all together w/ LOTS of clearance.

ALL for about $2....

:yeahsmile:
Thanks for posting. You've convinced me to give this a second try. This forum is an incredible resource.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Had the same problem with my KLR and the Moose guards. I same spacer and longer bolts fit it right up. I see that it been done on the Versys so it's an all rounder fixer up!

Not the best picture sorry. But you can see the spacer I added to clear the lever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts