Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Do Galfer brake line kits come with two separate long front lines, or do they come with one long line and a crossover line?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Same here

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, thanks

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Question: Do Galfer brake line kits come with two separate long front lines, or do they come with one long line and a crossover line?
Mine came with two long lines. There is an advantage to both types.

The two long lines that attach at the brake lever are easier to bleed and as a result might give you a firmer lever pull due to less air in system. I know mine made a large difference in brake feel but I spent much time bleeding them.

The disadvantage of the two long lines is they attach at the brake lever and extend out further. This interfered with my Barkbuster hand guards which I easily modified. The problem was after I modified them they struck my Givi aftermarket screen just before steering lock. I ended up ditching the hand guards which were of questionable value at the price, anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got the same results as twowheels, but I have kept the Barkbusters. I also had to bleed the lines where they attach to the master cylinder to get a firm lever. One other thing I do, which I learned from my Concours, is to use a velcro strap to hold the brake lever tight overnight. It seems to do something to get the tiny bubbles out and make the lever feel very firm.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
When I changed out my lines I initially had a hard time bleeding the lines.
Then I noticed that when I moved the lever a very slight amount that a stream of bubbles came up thru the reservoir each time. So I'm ASSUMING that there is a point in the plunger moving that it picks up fluid to push down the line but is sealed at either end of it's travel.

you might be right, I may be crazy

·
Registered
96 Posts
The brake fluid return passage. When the calipers retract and/or the fluid gets warm/hot it has to have someplace to go or it would lock your caliper pistons, so it returns to the master cylinder. After all the air is out you will get a solid stream of fluid. This solid stream can go high enough to get all over your nice paint. Release the lever slowly or keep the cover on.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You need a colection bottle connected by a clear tube so you can see air exiting the system. Release the bleeder valve by unscrewing and pull the lever, then retighten the screw before releasing the lever. When you no longer get even micro bubbles your done that side. Repeat on other side. Then go back to first side and recheck no air was pushed into that caliper while doing other side. You will need to fill up the resovoir several times while doing this. If it runs dry you need to start at the beginning again. The secret is to leave absolutely no air in the system. Even a few micro bubbles will cause issues with a soft lever.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
I BELIEVE you can get then BOTH ways, but, like the others, I recommend two separate lines, and I HIGHLY recommend the rear line also...!

On my Gen 1 (2008), the rear brake w/ SS lines is WAY-Y-Y better than stock!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts