Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was cleaning the bike last night and was taking the gas tank side pieces off and stripped out a screw. ended up having to drill it out; the operation was a success though. But now I am one screw short to put the piece back on. I was wondering if these could be bought at an auto parts place or do I need to get from the dealer. If any one has input please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You might be able to find it at a well stocked local hardware store. But you're going to be looking for a stainless steel, metric, pan head cap screw. Locally, we have ACE hardware that carries a very wide assortment and I've bought a few replacement screws for the V there. I'd say try them, or something similar.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I found that the threads are just off enough that our local Jerry's (like an Ace Hardware) metric pan heads would not work! Had to order from the dealer (like $3 screw, or I got screwed, either way) but it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Screws

I found that the threads are just off enough that our local Jerry's (like an Ace Hardware) metric pan heads would not work! Had to order from the dealer (like $3 screw, or I got screwed, either way) but it worked perfectly.
Take one of the other matching screws to Lowes and match it. I think it is an M8 80 but if you take it with you you can match it exactly. That's what I did.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got mine from Bike bandit. Go to the OE parts. I went ahead and got 12. just so I would have them. I think the same ones fit the windshield. I had them in four days.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interesting. Maybe someone chucked an american screw in the metric bin? The bike definitely uses metric screws and they're standardized so I don't know why they'd be 'just off enough' but either way, sounds like you got the problem solved.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info really appreciate it.
Golfmuch Thanks for the info on bikebandits.com in the future if I have any mishaps will go there for parts.
Great site.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, I kinda thought metric was metric, but I had two guys tell me (one was a dealer, so take it as you will) and the other was a guy from a local nuts & bolts shop (which I do trust a lot) and they said the exact same thing: sometimes they tend to be off just enough so you have to buy from the dealer. And I'm positive they weren't standard.

Odd, but oh well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pitch? Coarse/Fine?

I believe you might have been bitten by the thread pitch or coarse/fine thread issue.

I've not googled or looked at a book, but I recall something like 1 and 1.25 thread pitches. One of those two being the fine and the other the coarse.

Cheers,

BBM

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
It's an M5 with 0.8 pitch (not 0.9)... Use a quality #2 Phillips screwdriver, and push in much harder than you turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.