Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
It runs at 10% of the highbeam. I have never had anyone flash their lights at me. I have stood in front of my bike and it isn't a problem. It does increase visability and the front looks balanced.

When I had my bike in for servce, I had it installed, along with the front driving lights (photon blasters) and the rear brake light (P3). However, the type of connectors do not require any splicing. It is not hard to install. They have been very responsive when I have called with questions.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It runs at 10% of the highbeam. I have never had anyone flash their lights at me. I have stood in front of my bike and it isn't a problem. It does increase visability and the front looks balanced.

When I had my bike in for servce, I had it installed, along with the front driving lights (photon blasters) and the rear brake light (P3). However, the type of connectors do not require any splicing. It is not hard to install. They have been very responsive when I have called with questions.
i am debating between these two options. i kind of like having both lights on the low beam to have more illumination, as I rarely ride with high beam. If needed, I would use my Denali D4 for high beam.

·
Registered
196 Posts
chid, how is that you offer headlights? do you require the OEM housing and then modify it? Is it a plug and play or a complicated install?
I'm actually the one who offers the custom builds.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm actually the one who offers the custom builds.

oh sorry, i got mixed up. i sent you a message on facebook

·
Registered
13 Posts
With the Skene, you can still use your highbeam. Then you turn on your highbeam, it goes to 100%. I accidentally bumped the switch in the daytime. That was the only time someone has ever flashed their lights at me - when I actually had my high beam on.

It wires to the low beam.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Any suggestions as to the companies that do produce LED bulbs that come close to Halogen?
I installed an Evitek brand of LED. The gentleman in Taiwan that came up with the design for it involved some folks over on the ADV forum for research and feedback. It was quite the ongoing project. A search over there may enlighten some folks.

In my gen3 low beam it has a much better cutoff and less glare than a halogen. I've not had anyone flip high beams at me so it must be OK. Re-aiming of the light enclosure was required. It's been installed and working fine for mover 3.5 years, about 60k miles.

Reactions: 16VGTIDave

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am one of the riders who doesn't like the one low beam, one high beam design. I have seen several units that allow both light to operate at the same time. So, what options are available and what would be the best considering wiring, reflectors, etc.
I'm not so sure that when your lights are on high beam only one is illuminated?

Anyway, to a car driver (possibly with a windscreen that hasnt been cleaned all season), on a dark night, two headlights close together (as on a motorcycle)
can look like the headlights of a car that is far away... perspective of course narrowing
the gap between a cars headlights that are a long way away.

So the car driver pulls out of the intersection thinking they have plenty of time
before their (perceived) car arrives, only to discover (after the collision with you) that is was a motorcycle
with side by side headlamps... at close range.

The ultimate solution... A Gen ll 650(y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm not so sure that when your lights are on high beam only one is illuminated?

Anyway, to a car driver (possibly with a windscreen that hasnt been cleaned all season), on a dark night, two headlights close together (as on a motorcycle)
can look like the headlights of a car that is far away... perspective of course narrowing
the gap between a cars headlights that are a long way away.

So the car driver pulls out of the intersection thinking they have plenty of time
before their (perceived) car arrives, only to discover (after the collision with you) that is was a motorcycle
with side by side headlamps... at close range.

The ultimate solution... A Gen ll 650(y)
View attachment 180930
Ok, then why do the designers do it if it’s such a problem? LEDs are to the level of technology a single or over and under light bar would
not appear as two lights .

·
Registered
538 Posts
anyway, assuming that there is a real danger the car can confuse the distance from the rider, which i am not that sure about, adding DRL fog light will change the way the bike is seen. I am actually fitting yellow lenses on my small denalis. Also in my set up, with both headlights being on low beam, if I see a car approaching, i can just turn off and on the high beam switch as a warning.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok, then why do the designers do it if it’s such a problem? LEDs are to the level of technology a single or over and under light bar would
not appear as two lights .
Historically manufacturers are famous for building unsafe features into their vehicles.

I'm not sure what you mean by; "LEDs are to the level of technology a single or over and under light bar would
not appear as two lights ."
Recac.

To answer you question; "Ok, then why do the designers do it if it’s such a problem?"
Many here have complained about the feature that has only one light illuminated on twin
headlights when on low beam. That is a relatively recent feature of twin headlamps on
motorcycles... possibly intended to eliminate the possibility of car drivers
mistaking the perspective error syndrome I have described.

If you have that single illuminated twin headlight feature, I suggest you
leave it well enough alone for the reason I have cited (twice now) in this thread.

·
Registered
538 Posts
in the new V1000, both led lights are illuminated. i think all that thing about cars crashing into you because they think you are a car far away, is just far from very convincing. also, it could theoretically happen only if both car and the bike are riding on a single lane. in such case, it would be sensible to turn the 'high' beam off and on again as a warning.

·
Registered
538 Posts
here are the photos with yellow lenses spot light denali. not very good, as making the photos from the front is blinding the camera.
yellow denali and both beams.jpg
yellow denalis both beams 2.jpg
all lights.jpg

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had a near miss on my c-10 Concours which I would attribute to the "two lights" issue. That bike had the single headlight augmented by driving ;lights mounted fairly low and wide on the "tipover" bars. I was having an issue with the bike headlight sometimes cutting out but wasn't too worried about as I had the driving lights.

The commute was mostly on skinny back country two lane roads, mostly with no shoulder. On my way to work at about 4a.m. I was coming up on a group of three cars coming at me. Being this time of night the road is usually deserted I had a bad feeling on this developing situation so I moved hard over to as far as I could get into the right part of the lane, pretty much on the fog line. Sure as shootin' the rear car jumped out to briskly pass. No time for avoidance and no where to go if there was time except into a water filled ditch. We all fit, I came really close to having to change underwear.

When I got to work, about a mile and a half away, I noticed that my bike headlight was not working.(The driving lights were of sufficient quality that they made the bike headlight redundant). I'm thinking that I looked like a car in the distance to the passer. I repaired that headlight when I got home that afternoon.

Reactions: 16VGTIDave
21 - 40 of 59 Posts