Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of the riders who doesn't like the one low beam, one high beam design. I have seen several units that allow both light to operate at the same time. So, what options are available and what would be the best considering wiring, reflectors, etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I personally dont ever ride at night, so have no need for a high beam. I lowered the angle of the high beam level with the low beam and keep them both on all the time. YMMV

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am one of the riders who doesn't like the one low beam, one high beam design. I have seen several units that allow both light to operate at the same time. So, what options are available and what would be the best considering wiring, reflectors, etc.
I'm with you on preferring both headlights be on at the same time. When I see bikes like these coming at me I think one of the lights is broken. I think it is a "Miss" in the styling department...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I personally dont ever ride at night, so have no need for a high beam. I lowered the angle of the high beam level with the low beam and keep them both on all the time. YMMV
That is a splendid idea! The only problem is that I have axillary lights connected to a high beam. But there is a solution, I just need to connect them to a separate switch, which I already have; in this way I could still have high beam if needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like your suggestion. I avoid riding at night also. I have worked on older bikes originally set to have one low beam, one high beam ie. Yamaha FZ6 that were easy to alter. The Versys seems to be much more complicate and expensive. Thanks for providing a solution to my problem.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Keep in mind your alternator does not have a lot of excess capacity. When you run the high beam there is little extra power to keep the battery charged. At lower rpms you will be in deficit for sure, so if you make short rides or if you are riding slowly at lower rpm you won't want the high beam on. I ride in cold weather with a heated jacket, and that plus high beam puts me at the limit.

If you want both lights on for safety in the day time, I would look into running LED aux lights. The gen3 V650 headlight reflectors are shaped such that LED headlight replacements don't shine a normal pattern. You could run the low beam plus the LED aux lights without taxing the alternator. At night you'd still have normal high beam to light things up.

If you are interested in aesthetics and don't ride at night, you could re-aim the high beam down to the same position as the low beam and then just run it all the time, keeping in mind the alternator won't be charging the battery under 3000+ rpm.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Keep in mind your alternator does not have a lot of excess capacity. When you run the high beam there is little extra power to keep the battery charged. At lower rpms you will be in deficit for sure, so if you make short rides or if you are riding slowly at lower rpm you won't want the high beam on. I ride in cold weather with a heated jacket, and that plus high beam puts me at the limit.

If you want both lights on for safety in the day time, I would look into running LED aux lights. The gen3 V650 headlight reflectors are shaped such that LED headlight replacements don't shine a normal pattern. You could run the low beam plus the LED aux lights without taxing the alternator. At night you'd still have normal high beam to light things up.

If you are interested in aesthetics and don't ride at night, you could re-aim the high beam down to the same position as the low beam and then just run it all the time, keeping in mind the alternator won't be charging the battery under 3000+ rpm.
if you use LED headlight bulbs, as I do, they use less power. like 70Watts together. however, there is one problem. the placement of the high beam bulb in the housing does not allow it to be lowered to the exactly same position as the low beam. I did it today, as I love the idea, and the lowered high beam points slightly higher than the low beam itself.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
if you use LED headlight bulbs, as I do, they use less power. like 70Watts together. however, there is one problem. the placement of the high beam bulb in the housing does not allow it to be lowered to the exactly same position as the low beam. I did it today, as I love the idea, and the lowered high beam points slightly higher than the low beam itself.
The reviews I've seen of LED headlamp bulbs in the Gen3 are poor as far as the beam pattern. Due to the difference in the bulb itself the light doesn't go where it should because the reflector is not designed for LEDs. Idk in previous generations of Versys if this is true.

In any case, our electrical systems are not superior, so one has to keep in mind the limitations when adding loads.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The reviews I've seen of LED headlamp bulbs in the Gen3 are poor as far as the beam pattern. Due to the difference in the bulb itself the light doesn't go where it should because the reflector is not designed for LEDs. Idk in previous generations of Versys if this is true.

In any case, our electrical systems are not superior, so one has to keep in mind the limitations when adding loads.
c

so what are the limits of the alternator in 650? how many watts it can handle? people use all kind of gadgets, heated grips, heated seat... and they manage just ok.

and it is true, the LED bulbs does not work so well with the new V, but they are still better than the halogen bulbs...

ps. all of the headlight housings in the bikes that come with H bulbs are not designed for LED, but some of them work well with LED

·
Registered
196 Posts
I offer custom headlight builds. On my '19, both sides are low beam and both sides are high beam. facebook.com/motoheadlights

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
c

so what are the limits of the alternator in 650? how many watts it can handle? people use all kind of gadgets, heated grips, heated seat... and they manage just ok.

and it is true, the LED bulbs does not work so well with the new V, but they are still better than the halogen bulbs...

ps. all of the headlight housings in the bikes that come with H bulbs are not designed for LED, but some of them work well with LED
I would have to dig out the manual, but my recollection is with my heated gear (jacket and gloves) plus high beam it is close to the max. The high beam is 65w iirc. With the high beam off but the heated clothing on there is a noticeable difference in rpm required to charge the battery. With everything on it discharges the battery at low rpms, such as when just sedately riding in town at low speed. I have a voltmeter to monitor the charging system, so this is based on actual data.

I expect most people don't ride with all their heated gear and aux lights and high beam on at the same time. So they get by. But if the OP wants to have a full time high beam on then he needs to be aware he is taking away a significant portion of the available alternator power. If he is also going to put on heated gear, aux lighting, power up a tablet, run a GPS, etc then he could find himself pretty maxed out, and that gets to my point he won't make it all work if he isn't running at higher rpms, and then he may still be in deficit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The reviews I've seen of LED headlamp bulbs in the Gen3 are poor as far as the beam pattern. Due to the difference in the bulb itself the light doesn't go where it should because the reflector is not designed for LEDs.

I see you writing about beam pattern when you replace halogen with LED on 3.generation.
Can you explain how LED beam pattern look compared to halogen (I don't know how to explain on english but i hope that you understand what i wish to say.) Is some part of road more visible, other less compared to halogen lights.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The problem with a light bulb installed in a reflector that was not design for it is that the focal distance is not the same.
That means that instead of having a pattern that illuminates the road in front of you to see, it will throw the light everywhere, including blinding the other drivers.
A good reflector-light bulb combination will keep the light where it should be.
On the yellow reflector you can see that no light escapes above the cut-off, that means that it won't blind the incoming drivers.
Mine are projectors with HID (designed together)
In these photos I only had 1 projector working, imagine how it is with 2.

Reflection.jpg Low beam HID.jpg low_beam spread.jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would have to dig out the manual, but my recollection is with my heated gear (jacket and gloves) plus high beam it is close to the max. The high beam is 65w iirc. With the high beam off but the heated clothing on there is a noticeable difference in rpm required to charge the battery. With everything on it discharges the battery at low rpms, such as when just sedately riding in town at low speed. I have a voltmeter to monitor the charging system, so this is based on actual data.

I expect most people don't ride with all their heated gear and aux lights and high beam on at the same time. So they get by. But if the OP wants to have a full time high beam on then he needs to be aware he is taking away a significant portion of the available alternator power. If he is also going to put on heated gear, aux lighting, power up a tablet, run a GPS, etc then he could find himself pretty maxed out, and that gets to my point he won't make it all work if he isn't running at higher rpms, and then he may still be in deficit.
The LED bulbs draw more or less half of the power, so if if you have 2 beams on, it is similar to having only low beam with Halogen. I decided today to make a test with Multimeter. Leaving the bike on idling, with low beam alone there was 14.80 V in the battery. And guess what, with high beam, it was 14.80! With additional mini Denali, it was still 14.80. With the huge Denali lights turned on (D7), the voltage dropped to 13.50. I did this tests on two bikes, 650 and 1000. My 1000 is from 2016. So my conclusion is that there is no visible danger of draining the battery having two lights on even on idling.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I see you writing about beam pattern when you replace halogen with LED on 3.generation.
Can you explain how LED beam pattern look compared to halogen (I don't know how to explain on english but i hope that you understand what i wish to say.) Is some part of road more visible, other less compared to halogen lights.
It is true what other members say here that the reflector in the 3rd generation is not working very well with LED bulbs. I fitted LED bulbs in other bikes, KLX, Versys 300, crf, Tiger 800, and the light is amazing, but with Versys 650 and 1000 (they have the same headlights), the light is much inferior. But in my opinion it is still better than Halogen, which looks more like a yellow candle inside the headlamp. The beam pattern depends on what kind of LED bulbs you have. Many companies try to produce bulbs that come as close as possible to the more focused pattern of a Halogen bulb, but some succeed in this better than others. The LED light is generally more dispersed, but even so it illuminates the road better. Of course, the other benefit of LED bulbs is great visibility and less power draw.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I offer custom headlight builds. On my '19, both sides are low beam and both sides are high beam. facebook.com/motoheadlights

You did a great job with the headlight. I had one full LED assembly from China, and was not very happy about it. First, it was not plug and play, many wires to connect, 2 huge ballasts, a complete pain to install. The light was good but not great. At some point I replaced it with OEM. Getting the full LED assembly from China is a hit or miss. In my Tiger and Vulcan S they worked amazing. In Versys 300 it was pointing too low, etc... If one wants to get full led assembly that guy is very reliable: https://mattgeckoleds.com/shop/ols/categories/kawasaki

He does not have one for 650.

chid, how is that you offer headlights? do you require the OEM housing and then modify it? Is it a plug and play or a complicated install?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is true what other members say here that the reflector in the 3rd generation is not working very well with LED bulbs. I fitted LED bulbs in other bikes, KLX, Versys 300, crf, Tiger 800, and the light is amazing, but with Versys 650 and 1000 (they have the same headlights), the light is much inferior. But in my opinion it is still better than Halogen, which looks more like a yellow candle inside the headlamp. The beam pattern depends on what kind of LED bulbs you have. Many companies try to produce bulbs that come as close as possible to the more focused pattern of a Halogen bulb, but some succeed in this better than others. The LED light is generally more dispersed, but even so it illuminates the road better. Of course, the other benefit of LED bulbs is great visibility and less power draw.
Any suggestions as to the companies that do produce LED bulbs that come close to Halogen?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
chid, how is that you offer headlights? do you require the OEM housing and then modify it? Is it a plug and play or a complicated install?
I'm not building this for sale, this is my own bike and I wanted to have more light, convenience and didn't like the cyclops look.
It's not cheap, I only both good quality components (you can see the list in my thread), I had no problem since installing it.
You can see the details and you can do it yourself in my thread, ask if you have questions.

Here are 2 videos with the LEDs :
Versys 650 2015 dual projector HID with LED angel eyes
Versys 650 2015 headlight with LED angel eyes and strip

1 - 20 of 59 Posts