Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike hasn't been lowered yet so I still get to play with it. LOL Anyway I decided to commute today on it. Distance is about 58 miles with two 3rds of that on twisty mountain roads, the rest is freeway miles. It was a little chilly, 43f at the coolest point. Im 5'11" and 200ish lbs, full gear with Bluetooth helmet and music. I have the rear shock on the softest setting and there is hardly any sag when I sit on the bike. The rear suspension felt about right the entire ride. I could probably tighten it up one notch from softest but Ill leave it for now.

The bikes sweet spot seems to be 55 to 60 mph, the motor is hardly working, its buttery smooth and very little if any vibrations. 60 to 65 is Ok, 70 is where things start to get revy, noisy and windy. 75 to 80 just really wasn't all that enjoyable with the stock windscreen and the engine sitting at 10,000 rpm LOL. In town unless you come to a complete stop there is no need to shift below 3rd gear. The bike is almost more fun to short shift at 7000 or so and roll back in the throttle. Its a good thing we are getting old and speed is no longer a requirement for enjoyment. Seriously, anymore I enjoy poking around country roads at 50 mph or less as much as any other kind of riding. I think I averaged about 60ish MPG for this leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To show how little I know, or care 😉 , about bike types, let me introduce my first "ADV" bike ... a 1981 Kawasaki GPz550. This was marketed as a sportbike but apparently my friend and I didn't entirely understand what we were supposed to do, and not do, with them. We also did extensive touring on them. I guess it's an argument that Ignorance really is Bliss. 🙃

View attachment 187816
I hear that! A few years back that was me on a ST1300 and a buddy on an FJR. We rode up a dirt rode and just kept going. Heck I was even two up. The road turned into a "trail" and before you know it we were at the top of the mountain at a microwave repeater station. LOL Thats when I threw it in reverse (had wife get off and push the bike backwards) and did a six point U turn and headed back down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I am unskilled enough that I can't meander down a gravel road very well on my street bike with street tires 😂 ... I tried it a couple of times with my NT700V... felt uncomfortable. The Versys is more nimble and better shoes for the terrain. I guess the dual sport and adv "specialized" bikes allow me a little more freedom without so much skill 😉
😁 I grew up on dirt bikes and enduros so dirt seems kinda normal to me. I think its all a matter of what you have experience with. When I first moved here and went on group rides everyone thought I was crazy riding in the rain with speed. I told them where I came from I was lucky to ever ride on dry pavement. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.