Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
545 Posts
I definitely enjoy the 45-55 mph rides in the country more (especially riding 2up with my wife) ... but the rpms really don't seem to bother me if I want to "get it going" ... 10k seems pretty effortless from my perspective (even though the same speed is seeing about 6k on my Honda street bike (NT700V)). One of the great things about this bike is how easy ti revs up... and is still smooth. And ... you can go full-out and still be relatively safe. I like to occasionally wring it out with 12.5-13k shifts through the first 4 gears ... and it really hums. But I only do that on a good road with little or no traffic.

I have found the mpg computer on my 2017 V300x to be very optimistic. I had a full tank of slow and gentle cruising, and the average mpg showed 75.4 on the computer; my fuelly computed 67.7. I typically will get around 60mpg calculated ... less depending on how occasionally I max out the acceleration ;-)

Glad you got to enjoy it ... I really enjoy mine ... especially since I can meander down a forest service road when the mood strikes me !

Reactions: amad1972

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
545 Posts
First I need to say that I have a 2017 Versys-X 300, owned from new in spring of 2017 and have over 60,000km (37,000+mi) on it. I still smile every time I ride it.

But after over 50 years of riding everything but Harleys and racing bikes, one thing still puzzles me. I see comments like the above fairly regularly. My apologies to @JT in GA . I mean no criticism or disrespect. It just happens that the comment tweaked a thought that has been running around in my head for awhile now.

It seems with the relatively recent and increasing specialization of motorcycle types, we're letting the marketing departments define what we can or can't do on a motorcycle ... what type of bike we need if we want to do some particular type of riding ... like an occasional meander down a forest service road.

To show how little I know, or care 😉 , about bike types, let me introduce my first "ADV" bike ... a 1981 Kawasaki GPz550. This was marketed as a sportbike but apparently my friend and I didn't entirely understand what we were supposed to do, and not do, with them. We also did extensive touring on them. I guess it's an argument that Ignorance really is Bliss. 🙃

View attachment 187816
I guess I am unskilled enough that I can't meander down a gravel road very well on my street bike with street tires 😂 ... I tried it a couple of times with my NT700V... felt uncomfortable. The Versys is more nimble and better shoes for the terrain. I guess the dual sport and adv "specialized" bikes allow me a little more freedom without so much skill 😉

Reactions: GeoGator
1 - 2 of 2 Posts