Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad you got to enjoy it ... I really enjoy mine ... especially since I can meander down a forest service road when the mood strikes me !
First I need to say that I have a 2017 Versys-X 300, owned from new in spring of 2017 and have over 60,000km (37,000+mi) on it. I still smile every time I ride it.

But after over 50 years of riding everything but Harleys and racing bikes, one thing still puzzles me. I see comments like the above fairly regularly. My apologies to @JT in GA . I mean no criticism or disrespect. It just happens that the comment tweaked a thought that has been running around in my head for awhile now.

It seems with the relatively recent and increasing specialization of motorcycle types, we're letting the marketing departments define what we can or can't do on a motorcycle ... what type of bike we need if we want to do some particular type of riding ... like an occasional meander down a forest service road.

To show how little I know, or care 😉 , about bike types, let me introduce my first "ADV" bike ... a 1981 Kawasaki GPz550. This was marketed as a sportbike but apparently my friend and I didn't entirely understand what we were supposed to do, and not do, with them. We also did extensive touring on them. I guess it's an argument that Ignorance really is Bliss. 🙃

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I am unskilled enough that I can't meander down a gravel road very well on my street bike with street tires 😂 ... I tried it a couple of times with my NT700V... felt uncomfortable. The Versys is more nimble and better shoes for the terrain. I guess the dual sport and adv "specialized" bikes allow me a little more freedom without so much skill 😉
As Mike said: differently skilled. With bikes, it depends on mainly two things:

1. Your experience with different types of riding .. different surfaces, different types and sizes of bikes, straight vs curves, gentle sweepers vs tight twisties, high speeds vs leisurely pace, and so on. And,
2. The general suitability of the bike you're on for the situation you're in at the moment.

The fact that you're on here talking with us is clear evidence that you're sufficiently skilled for the riding you've done so far to have survived it. That's underscored by the fact that you were uncomfortable with the NT700V with pure street tires off the pavement and paced yourself accordingly. It's not that you can't ride it there. It just wouldn't be your first choice.

At the end of the day, good judgement is what will keep you out of the ambulance and you clearly have it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts