Super Moderator
18,974 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very handy stuff for sure.But for alot of those solutions on the video,there are easier ones that use household items.Squirrel problems...try hot sauce where they are doing their thing. They hate it, they will give you an earful! Or a few peppercorns where theyre digging and its wet from watering.Toothpaste with its fine grit cleans silver real good. I used WD this summer for a wasps nest startup,it worked.I still have some old mink oil for leather,same viscosity as WD,so I can see using WD in that "penetrating"way. In general though,I always look for the least toxic solution. My household cleaning is dish soap,vinegar,baking powder ,laundry detergent(enzyme cleaner) or a mix of some of those. A little bleach,the nuclear option maybe but it will etch a surface which sometimes you want like muriatic acid. Vinegar is a milder alternative. No more fancy,toxic cleaners lying around inside the house as there are always fumes that you breath.Cant attest to WD40 as far as its toxicity but its mild enough to clean your motor greasy hands compared to a solvent.As far as my bikes and chains,love it. It foams,like toothpaste or drain cleaner to expand and push out the stuff. And the amazing PL construction glue. Foaming is a breakthrough concept added component in alot of applications to boost its performance.Oh yea,and WD40 is also great for preventing rust,its original purpose!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The first tip- removing adhesives. There is a better product to use- lighter fluid (naptha)- the best of many products I've used.

It removes most adhesives and it leaves a clean, non-greasy surface.

Also, Liquid Wrench is a better rust penetrator/remover.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
On a trip in the car I ran over some chewing gum and it got deposited all down the side of the car.

I stopped at an auto parts store to get some adhesive remover. The guy at the counter said that WD40 works great on gum.

Bought a small can and he was right. Got all the gum off without too much elbow grease.

Great stuff...just wish it would fix my bad back.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The first tip- removing adhesives. There is a better product to use- lighter fluid (naptha)- the best of many products I've used.

It removes most adhesives and it leaves a clean, non-greasy surface.

Also, Liquid Wrench is a better rust penetrator/remover.
Yes.Naptha is an excellent solvent.It is a more refined kerosene,for this purpose "thinner" to penetrate.Also more expensive than kerosene.That is why WD 40 is 60% naptha,to clean out the stuff and replace it with added petroleum oil.Liquid Wrench is a copy of WD40 except they use kerosene.Here are the product safety sheets for both products, available online.Really you could make your own penetrating oil if you wanted....

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Finally I got it!
I had to hack mi public IP address via VPN...

Interesting video, I have already known few of them.
But would you really use WD40 in your refrigerator or whatever you will put food or similar in/on :thumbdown::badidea:?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Finally I got it!
I had to hack mi public IP address via VPN...

Interesting video, I have already known few of them.
But would you really use WD40 in your refrigerator or whatever you will put food or similar in/on :thumbdown::badidea:?
Exactly,well put.If you look at the rest of WD40 ingredients you see 10% trimethylbenzine and 10% xylene.Xylene is a super powerful solvent,if you need to remove bathtub silicone its the only thing full strength that works I have found. Its also in lacquer thinner,the smell of full on xylene in an unventilated room can get you very stoned and dizzy. Eventually solvents evaporate,but till then...No wonder wasps dont like it ,though maybe its less toxic than using a real wasp blaster. Who knows? Modern day chemistry is amazing but we are the guinea pigs as far as its affects.Trimethylbenzine I looked up,toxic stuff too.So really, WD40 is great for what its made for but dont get carried away with it,I wouldnt use it inside my fridge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts