Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Clint Eastwood says in the movie, "Heartbreak Ridge," "My men are trained to adadpt, improvise and overcome!"

We were on the next to the last leg of our return ride from the Smoky Mountain area (total ride, driveway to driveway was 2,212 miles) when we hit a wall of water and wind.

My 2 piece rainsuit did an admirable job of keeping me dry but my boots soaked in enough water to put out a small forest fire!

As we bedded down for the night at the hotel I began dreading the next days 4-5 hour ride which would get me home. The thought of riding with VERY wet boots was definitely not appealing.

As we woke to gray threatening skies, I came up with an idea that worked amazingly well.

You know the dirty clothes plastic bag most hotels place in the closet for you to use? How 'bout that as a boot liner? My feet were dry, I sprinkled them with foot powder, put on a nice dry sock, put my foot in to the plastic bag and then carefully slid my foot in to my still very wet boot. Perfect!

Since the hotel only places one of these kinds of bags in the room, I remove the small trash can bags from the 2 little room trash cans and repeat the process. Another perfect fit!

My feet are dry . . . and remained so the entire ride home, Because it was a semi-cool morning, I had no problem with sweaty feet upon arrival.

I HAVE a pair of water proof riding boots (they're so stiff and clunky they make me walk like Frankenstein!) but I chose not to take them on this trip.

So the moral of the story . . . "Adapt, improvise & overcome!" And try not to ride in the rain!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Great thinking! Think I'll throw a few Walmart bags in my right side pannier where all my more "permanent" items are stored... tools, rain gear, tire plugs, etc..

I've also got a pair of NEOS Adventurer Overshoes in there so if I'm smart enough to stop and put them on when I should, maybe I'll never need the bags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts