Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok, new to motorcycling and new to these forums... I bought the Versys X 300 as my first motorcycle last year and I've been happy with it. Mine came with Ricochet skid plates, and Kawasaki original crash bars and only 800 miles on the odometer. I generally enjoy it, and have been making progress and riding it more and more. One thing that bothered me is that the throttle didn't seem to be very smooth. I chalked it up as me being a new rider, I still didn't have the finesse to work the clutch and throttle smoothly. Then I saw the Booster Plug posts in the forums, and it was stated that it makes throttle action smoother overall, and I decided to give it a try. I installed it yesterday and went for a ride immediately after. I could definitely tell that maneuvering at slow speeds became a smoother process, with reduced jerkiness when modulating the throttle and clutch for tight turns. It also appeared that gear transitions were smoother on the roads.
That said, these results are subtle, and in my experience the claims that you will get a "new bike" by installing this are obvious hyperbolic, but you will get a little gentler response when working the throttle, especially at lower speeds. I still think that it was worth it, but temper your expectations on what you want to achieve with the Booster Plug.
Regarding the installationI didn't have to remove my tank to install it, and I only propped it with a box to fit my hands underneath and install it, as mentioned in the posts above. I even placed mine in a similar spot as shown in the pictures but on the opposite side because it was easier to route it through. Getting your hands in there can be a little tricky in order to tighten the zip ties, but if you are not doing this in a rush, you should be fine. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish as I am not an experienced mechanic. Just my $0.02.
Good observations Dr. Sloth, noted however, I will asterisk your statement with the fact that you don't have an aftermarket exhaust. I had no real problem with the bike before the exhaust. After the exhaust the "problem" became obvious, take the baffle out the "problem" became obnoxious. The booster plug with the baffle in on my Delkevic exhaust is in fact in my opinion "a new bike".

In short the booster plugs real magic doesn't show it's true colors until you upgrade the exhaust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Though more technical at this point, I am giving the PAIR bypass a go. Tank off and easy enough as stated, but now I'm looking at getting to the damn plate. I have the service manual, and of course it shows easy access, but the brake ABS is in the way! Can anyone tell me if this has to go (which I probably won't do) or did they just get there hands in there and make it work? I know not everyone has the ABS model. Seems way too tight and I don't want to risk dirt or something falling in the engine.
Doesn't seem like I'm saving much as far as weight, but I could just take the valve out and plug the hoses. Don't know if that's worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Though more technical at this point, I am giving the PAIR bypass a go. Tank off and easy enough as stated, but now I'm looking at getting to the damn plate. I have the service manual, and of course it shows easy access, but the brake ABS is in the way! Can anyone tell me if this has to go (which I probably won't do) or did they just get there hands in there and make it work? I know not everyone has the ABS model. Seems way too tight and I don't want to risk dirt or something falling in the engine.
Doesn't seem like I'm saving much as far as weight, but I could just take the valve out and plug the hoses. Don't know if that's worth it.
I fitted the block off plate. if my memory serves me well, it is not very difficult to access. and I do have ABS model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I fitted the block off plate. if my memory serves me well, it is not very difficult to access. and I do have ABS model.
Ok, I'll give it a try. Just to be sure, the bypass plugs into the socket that the valve itself connects to, correct? I actually have it plugged in already in the photo.

·
Registered
994 Posts
one can replace the solenoid with a resistor plug, or just keep it tugged in. and the connection in the air box needs to be plugged. the cheap way to go is just to epoxy the valve hole and the hole in the air box and get rid of all those ugly hoses. the Vesys 300 is really crowded with all kind of stuff on top of the engine. when I did the valve clearance check, it was challenging to open the engine's top. I also removed the EVAP box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got it done, thanks all. A bit of a pain but was able to get my hands under the ABS.
The performance benefits are outstanding😋

41 - 46 of 46 Posts