Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summary:
The bike just runs "better" no question about it. Smoother idle, smoother acceleration, wildly less popping and jerking at low speed, I mean the whole bike just runs great all over, better than it ever has.

Full:
So here is the deal... From new bone stock, I always noticed in the neighborhood, around 10-20mph especially, the bike had a touch of a pop and jerk going on, nothing wildly out of the ordinary but I could hear it and I was aware of it.

Then I purchase and install the Delkevic exhaust. The "rough idle" becomes more apparent with the louder exhaust. Present mostly in 2nd and 4th gear is where I notice it most from 3-7k rpm. Never seems to be present in 5th or 6th at all.

One day I take the baffle out of the exhaust, it now isn't just a noise, the bike actually runs kind of worse. Definitely experienced a loss of power.

So I put the baffle back in. It needs a tune it just does. People say the booster plug is super easy and works really well.

I order it, $150 ouch expensive. Cheaper than $300 for a power commander and God knows how much for dyno runs and tuning.

4 days later it's here on the west coast of the US from the UK (free shipping) documentation says return within 30ish days no questions asked refund, lifetime warranty no questions. Install it, not hard, lift the tank up, pop the front fairings out but not off, remove mid fairings and seat, unplug AIT, plug in booster to AIT, plug in booster to AIT harness, zip tie booster and booster temp sensor to places that make sense. Maybe took 15 minutes.

The bike just runs "better" no question about it. Smoother idle, smoother acceleration, wildly less popping and jerking at low speed, I mean the whole bike just runs great all over, better than it ever has.

I wouldn't recommend buying an exhaust unless you plan on buying a booster plug.

Is it faster? More powerful with the booster plug and exhaust? I don't know maybe... Unfortunately I'm not calibrated to tell the difference between 35 and 38 whp. The bike sounds and runs great now though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it smoothed out, and thanks for the report. I have never experienced any popping, even on deceleration. no rough idle, jerky at low speed, nothing but buttery smooth. I'm wondering if you had some other issue going on that the booster plug somehow corrected.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so, the bike was brand new but I was a mechanic for a long time and I am hypersensitive to any sort of noises or mechanical quirkiness as a result. Nothing was "wrong" with it, I just was being hypercritical and wanted perfection.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Understood, but popping on deceleration is usually caused by a lean running condition with unburnt fuel being ignited in the exhaust. Its been common over the years for manufacturers to set their engines to a lean running condition the help them pass emissions tests. I've dealt with this issue on three different Triumphs and a 16 Moto Guzzi Griso in recent years. Most if not all of the popping is masked by the factory baffled exhaust. It becomes more pronounced or exposed when a more free flowing aftermarket exhaust is substituted. On modern FI units, this can be corrected by re-mapping which can also fix other issues related such as a jerky or stumbling throttle. Fortunately, I haven't experienced this with the little Versys.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah I agree there. The bike was lean the booster plug added fuel that's what it does. It made the bike run the way it should have ran when it left the factory.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No but I could probably take 2 pictures and explain it more than adequately. I'll get after it shortly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No but I could probably take 2 pictures and explain it more than adequately. I'll get after it shortly.
Is this supposed to fix an issue that occurs after applying a slip-on? and how can we tell if we got it or no? I would certainly want to fix that, but I don't want to fix something that isn't broken on a months old bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I'll clarify further on what I said in the original post.

Bone stock brand new at certain speeds I was never happy with the way the bike ran in certain circumstances. From the factory in my blind wild guess opinion based on nothing other than experience and intuition the bike arrives in a lean state from the factory, likely to meet increasing emissions standards probably easier to pass emissions when you are burning less fuel to begin with, so they lean it out and leave it up to people to fix it themselves. Also running it lean likely would also allow for a higher publishable fuel economy number a big selling point of a 300cc bike.

Was the bike broken? No absolutely not.

Was something wrong with it? No it wasn't.

Could it have been better? Yes.

Let's say just like when adjusting valves there's a tolerance on what's acceptable right? So I think the bike was tuned to the leanest acceptable tolerance just to pass emissions (possibly also to provide inflated fuel economy numbers) and the booster plug puts it back to ideal running conditions for the bike.

Take a look at the chart I attached below, I found it on the internet for the purpose of this discussion...

So everywhere the chart says "lean" in any statement I felt the bike always ran too lean, it was fine under medium plus acceleration, ran great when it was cold all the time, and under heavy load in other words 5/6th gear with my heavy ass on top of it, ran perfect. But light conditions, places where larger amounts of fuel weren't being delivered, the bike had "noticable to those with trained senses" mild popping and mild hesitation just overall less than ideally tuned. Nothing serious, bad, or concerning. If you had a carburetor though back in the day, 99 percent of people would turn a screw, richen it up a bit, and be happier with the way it was running, again not wrong, just different. (Wrong enough to me though lol)

When I put the slip-on on the bike it literally amplified these conditions and made me annoyingly more aware of them.

Overall what's my advice? For what it's worth if you are listening to what I think for some reason?

If you get a slip on 1. It absolutely must be baffled. 2. Buy the booster plug or don't buy the muffler.

Ideal conditions in all events? Keep the stock muffler and buy the booster plug. While I haven't tested this, I hypothesize the bike would run like a dream in that configuration.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Install:
Remove the seat in green using the key.

Remove middle fairings in red using 4mm allen.

In blue pop up or fully remove front fairings it's much easier to just pop them up. To pop them up remove the two silver 4mm allen's on the tops of them and the two inner 4mm allen's from near then radiator gently peel them back 4 or 5 inches until the tank is free to lift up at the rear (after removing two M6 bolts in yellow/orange) enough to stick a 2x4 or something under it to hold it up enough to get your hand in there.

The air box in purple, has the AIT on it, the AIT (in black) points at the steering stem and is the only sensor on the front of the air box.

Unplug the AIT, plug the AIT into the booster plug, plug the booster plug into the AIT harness that you unplugged from the AIT, route the booster plugs sensor somewhere in clean airflow away from heat (white) you can see where I mounted mine. Zip tie the booster plug (red box with blue) to something stable.

The booster plug is just a little black box the size of a relay.

Button everything up you are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Install:
Remove the seat in green using the key.

Remove middle fairings in red using 4mm allen.

In blue pop up or fully remove front fairings it's much easier to just pop them up. To pop them up remove the two silver 4mm allen's on the tops of them and the two inner 4mm allen's from near then radiator gently peel them back 4 or 5 inches until the tank is free to lift up at the rear (after removing two M6 bolts in yellow/orange) enough to stick a 2x4 or something under it to hold it up enough to get you hand in there.

The air box in purple, has the AIT on it the AIT (in black) points at the steering stem and is the only sensor on the front of the airbox.

Unplug the AIT, plug the AIT into the booster plug, plug the booster plug into the AIT harness that you unplugged from the AIT, route the booster plugs sensor somewhere in clean airflow away from heat (white) you can see where I mounted mine. Zip tie the booster plug (red box with blue) to something stable.

The booster plug is just a little black box the size of a relay.

Button everything up you are done.
Thank you for the trouble! this is very well explained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I were to look for this on the 'net - what's it called? I mean, is there a specific product name I should be looking for?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't think that the bike could be popping with the oem exhaust. it was not even popping when I installed the Akra slip on without the db killer. But there is no doubt that BP is a good stuff, and also removing the O2 sensor, plus blocking the Pair Valve. ps, the easiest way to attach the BP sensor in this bike is next to the air box snorkel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't "popping" persay because it was muffled so heavily. Years of mechanical experience has made me extremely sensitive to imperfections in the way that a vehicle runs. 2nd gear at low speeds when the bike was hot even with the stock muffler I could 100 percent hear/feel/generally experience an overall "lean condition" even on the stock bike.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It wasn't "popping" persay because it was muffled so heavily. Years of mechanical experience has made me extremely sensitive to imperfections in the way that a vehicle runs. 2nd gear at low speeds when the bike was hot even with the stock muffler I could 100 percent hear/feel/generally experience an overall "lean condition" even on the stock bike.
well, it is for sure set too lean from the factory. but nowadays this is the case with all bikes as the emission regulations are getting more strict every year, as someone already mentioned here. I put BP in many of my bikes. I don't have good experience with power commander. EJK fuel enricher is nice too, but they don't have it for 300x. BP is expensive, but you don't have to mess with wires or programming it, so it is super easy. I do also recommend removing the O2 sensor with O2 sensor eliminator; and to eliminate popping, plus cleaning the top of the engine, removing the Pair Valve.

O2 (Oxygen) Sensor eliminator kit OSE-207

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered the PAIR block off which makes a lot of sense, kind of confused by the O2 eliminator. I think I will keep my O2 sensor. I do have a CAT still I don't want the bike running unnecessarily rich, that can damage several parts of the bike. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ordered the PAIR block off which makes a lot of sense, kind of confused by the O2 eliminator. I think I will keep my O2 sensor. I do have a CAT still I don't want the bike running unnecessarily rich, that can damage several parts of the bike. Thanks for the heads up.
I was wondering too, please update me on how it went. To be honest I love the noise and unburn fuel hitting the cold air and shoot wild flames.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well, it is for sure set too lean from the factory. but nowadays this is the case with all bikes as the emission regulations are getting more strict every year, as someone already mentioned here. I put BP in many of my bikes. I don't have good experience with power commander. EJK fuel enricher is nice too, but they don't have it for 300x. BP is expensive, but you don't have to mess with wires or programming it, so it is super easy. I do also recommend removing the O2 sensor with O2 sensor eliminator; and to eliminate popping, plus cleaning the top of the engine, removing the Pair Valve.

O2 (Oxygen) Sensor eliminator kit OSE-207

I'm confused. Their description states it's not for aftermarket exhaust, but also states if helps with popping from aftermarket exhaust....which is it?!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm confused. Their description states it's not for aftermarket exhaust, but also states if helps with popping from aftermarket exhaust....which is it?!
Talking about the booster plug? It says all over their site it helps reduce popping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts