Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw4gZ6ILaII

quote from the poster....
I was accelerating on the 3rd gear, 7000 rpm. Engine has blown up. Oil was split on the road. There is a 2 cm hole in the engine, near oil filter. What the hell has happend. I will check it in the service.....

EDIT- this is not me just found on youtube

·
Registered
440 Posts
That sure appears to be a catastrophic engine failure. Hopefully, it's still under warranty. Keep your service receipts!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't think that is creeper's Versys. Regardless, that kind of failure has nothing to do with break-in. That is a catastrophic failure where a mechanical component broke. It is most likely a manufacturing defect; however it could be other things like engine run too hard cold (doesn't appear so here) or operation after significant power enhancement (appears stockish, although I can't see the muffler in the vid).

·
Registered
38 Posts
This would seem to be an isolated case. Assuming no owner abuse, this is what warranties are for.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
LOL! I believe the engine was made in Japan by Kawasaki Heavy Industries...
It looks like a broken/seized connecting rod punched a hole in the crankcase. That's when all the oil was spilled.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could be a number of reasons , not serviced , incorrect oil used , bike abused , overheating , oil too low .

First time I have heard of one blow , even with the ER6N and ER6F that use the same motor .

Spoke to the technical manager of the our importer and he also says the first one he has heard of .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thought the oil filter was damaged, so

I put a black plastic spray can lid over my oil filter. It is a tight fit and has stayed put for over 100 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
The video is poor quality, but it almost looks like the oil filter has damage. Did he punch a hole in the filter somehow, lose oil pressure and suffer oil starvation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to watch the youtube video above but it tells me that the video has been removed by the user. I became immediately curious if Kawasaki fixed your bike and then begged you to take down the video???

·
Registered
164 Posts
I smell a hoax to discourage future buyers of the Versys. Something very fishy about this deal me thinks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts