Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my bike fine this morning and got gas. Then when I went to start the bike again I put the key in and turned it to the on position and nothing happened, no lights turned on the dash and the FI light didn't turn on, nothing. Then when I switched the key back to off the tachometer needle moved all the way to the top and then back down. Battery is fully charged never and issue starting before this. I'm not sure if something is lose or what.

I have a 2009 versys 650.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not an expert in troubleshooting by any means but almost sounds like an electrical connection is failing. Short in a wire/bad connection kind of thing that can 'come and go'. For my electronics, before taking things apart I'll generally do a little troubleshooting like pressing lightly on wiring/connections, if a light press can 'turn things on' then I've got a short somewhere. Maybe just try turning ignition to ON and slowly turning the front wheel from side to side, some wires will move slightly during this and might allow you to start things. May find that the wheel turned 30 degrees to the right or something allows the bike to turn on, then trace back which wires move when the wheel is turned that direction and you at least have a starting point to disassemble. Also possible you may find nothing doing this but it's a quick way to try and narrow down the problem area.

Also sounds like Chapter 16 of the service manual might be some good reading for ya.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
step one , check your battery connection (yould be shocked how meany "dead" bikes ive got/came across with just a loose connection) then inspect the wiring at the kill switch and ignition , and if all thats good look for a new ignition (there not that expensive) and if its none of that you got a gremlin and it must really be a suzuki not a kawasaki

·
Registered
445 Posts
I started my bike fine this morning and got gas. Then when I went to start the bike again I put the key in and turned it to the on position and nothing happened, no lights turned on the dash and the FI light didn't turn on, nothing. Then when I switched the key back to off the tachometer needle moved all the way to the top and then back down. Battery is fully charged never and issue starting before this. I'm not sure if something is lose or what.

I have a 2009 versys 650.
My brain needs a little more info. The tach doing what it normally does when you turn the key ON, when you turned it off is strange. What did you get the next time you turned the ignition on??? I agree to start with your battery connections (happened to me once while stopping for lunch out on a ride-suddenly zero power) and check ground. I too often get "bitten" by not having the kickstand up and/or the clutch pulled in if not in neutral. Ditto for the kill switch-it can easily get bumped to the off position without you noticing. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
My Vote / Key Switch

I am going to say there have been a few changes in the key switch between MK-1 and MK-3, mainly to do with city lights/ tail light/ locked steering and key removal.
You can hit the kill switch, put it in gear, put the kick stand down , put the emergency flashers on, kick your shoes off, but, turning the ignition key will produce a fuel pump start and ECU power up , instrument lights come on. Yes your bike won't start, for that, the kill switch needs to be off and the stand up, pull in the clutch or put in neutral to start.
The following would produce the symptoms described by the OP: 1- a loose connection at the main fuse also a corroded main fuse MK-#3 have a rubber boot protecting the main fuse ; 2- a loose connection on either battery post ; 3-a key switch contact starting to fail --that is it.

To have a ground problem you would need two failures , as the engine ground is a direct connection to the battery and the frame ground also ties into the main harness and engine ground.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Seeing as how the OP hasn't been back to discuss his problem, l'm thinkin' it's a killswitch or ingear problem....................:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

Every now-and-then my '08 and '09 would do what he describes. I found it was caused by turning the key a BIT further CW past where it should be.

Just turn the key till everything 'lights-up'....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i just bought a 2nd hand versys 2008. Suddenly i noticed that the clock is being reset to 1.00 evertime i turn my bike off. Today i also noted that when i turn the engine off by key the rev conter remains 1000rpm but when I turn on key again to start the bike the rev counter first goes back to 0 then goes all the way up and all the way down as it should.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Hi i just bought a 2nd hand versys 2008. Suddenly i noticed that the clock is being reset to 1.00 evertime i turn my bike off. Today i also noted that when i turn the engine off by key the rev conter remains 1000rpm but when I turn on key again to start the bike the rev counter first goes back to 0 then goes all the way up and all the way down as it should.
You need to go over all the frame grounds, use scotch brite pads and electrical grease, that includes the engine ground.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
What @onewizard says is a great idea based on the age of the bike and possibly unknown history.

Do you know when the battery was last changed? Did you make sure the bike has a good battery? I would check the battery and battery connections first, and then work through all the grounds. Especially if the bike spent a lot of time outdoors in a humid environment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts