Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Bike too High

12K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  motorbum 
#1 ·
Hi, is there any way to lower the height of the bike? I'm 5'6" and find the bike too high. I think even with the optional gel seats, I don't feel comfortable on the bike.

Your suggestions would be great.

#6 ·
I have the stock seat and the lowered gel seat and don't notice a big difference in the seat height. I was expecting to have the seat lowered two inches, and with a $400 price tag, I am very disappointed to see the low seat has not helped me flat foot. And, as far as comfort goes, I think the stock seat is much better.

I'm curious about any other observations from people who have used both the stock and low gel seat.

#7 ·
thanks for the tips so far. I went to the dealer last weekend to see the versys...after getting on, the 33.1 inch ride height is a deal breaker for me.

Would it be possible to say get the Streetfigther height adjustment kit (lower by 40mm) and the Hyperpro rear lowering spring (30mm) together? Would this give a total of 70mm lower ride? Would this affect the ride?

If the Gel seat can lower by a further 50mm...that would be a total of 120mm lowering...and reduce the 33.1 inch ride height to 28.3 inch...which would be great for my size.

Your thoughts??

#8 ·
, the 33.1 inch ride height is a deal breaker for me.
...that would be a total of 120mm lowering...and reduce the 33.1 inch ride height to 28.3 inch...which would be great for my size.
Your thoughts??
OK, I am taller than you
by half an inch
I ride an F800ST
last year I had a G650XChallenge
and no issues whatsoever with seat height

let me ask you 2 questions:
why do you meed to flatfoot?
why don't you get a chruiser/chopper?

#11 ·
If you like the Versys, then look at its older sibling the 650R. It is lower with nearly the same upright position.

Maloy

#13 ·
I'm 5' 10" and can flat foot. I am a new born again biker and just passed my test and have a Versys. (Fantastic bike, love it). I made the mistake of trying to flat foot when I pull up but nearly toppled a couple of times. You see the ground isn't flat ! So I now toe first. An experienced trainer recently told me to look at the camber of the road and put the right foot down first if the grounds nearer. Obvious to all experienced riders. I would say if you are 5' 6" then if you can lower it by 100mm then you should have no problems and probably going to be OK with 75mm. The more I ride the bike the less the height thing seems a problem. And it great to get a commanding view over traffic etc.

#16 ·
I am new rider like yourself 5'6''. went with the lower gel seat. did not like the price, but wantd lower the seat height. after a few hours of riding, I am glad I went with the gel seat. Initially I was finding myself on my toes, because I straddled the foot pegs. When I started to place my legs and the foot levers, I was closer to being flat footed. another option may be to have a custom seat.

#22 ·
lowering kit

We put the lowering kit on my V and it made a world of difference. Brought the seat down to where I can flat foot, had to adjust the front a bit but it was worth the money, ($90?) got it on e-bay. So far so good......I also had the seat re-worked so it doesn't rock me so far forward, the entire ride is now much better for longer distances and for in town riding.
katie

#24 ·
I would strongly reccommend to your wife to get a Versys! My inseam is 32", what women run into is a strength and balance issue. I will have to ask my hubby what the seat measures at now, but I can comfortably flat foot at stops which has made the in town riding a more 'secure' feeling.
This bike is light enough to handle easily, but has enough power that the freeway is easily do-able. I'm so happy with it, if the local dealership carried more of them they could have sold them to the nurses at work who've tried my bike. A fair number of them ride more of the cruser (sp?) style and prefer this bike becuase of how easily it handles on turns at low speeds.
Can't say enough good things about it. Especially since making the seat modifications. She would be bery happy with it.

#26 ·
Heh JoJo, height isn't the only issue here. Inseam is the real measuring stick. I'm 6'1", yet I only have a 30" inseam, I'm long in the torso.

I suggest also that the poster wasn't looking for someone to tell him he should try a cruiser. I hate cruisers and he might as well.

Look up "Speedy Gonzales" here on the forum. He has manufactured a lowering kit that is very well designed and machined. In general discussion forum, there is a thread on kickstand design where his kit is mentioned.

Red

#27 ·
+1 on Speedy's lowering kit! I just put on his lowering kit and the FlatFoot for the kickstand last week. With my 30" inseem, I can now flat-foot the bike. The lowering kit drops the rear about 2", and I lowered the forks in the triple clamps 7/8". The quality of the parts and workmanship are excellent - you won't be sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.