Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is there any way to lower the height of the bike? I'm 5'6" and find the bike too high. I think even with the optional gel seats, I don't feel comfortable on the bike.

Your suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There's a lowering kit for the Versys that exist, I have seen it on EBay a few times, but don't know how good it is. I have used a similar kit on my KLR and it worked well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ive seen the lowering kit as well, heard of people using it it seems to be quality, from what ive heard, that and the gel seat will give you 4 inches......thats quite a bit lower, set some 4 insh blocks on either side of your bike, hop on , and see if you can touch them comfortabally

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search and nothing came up. do you know the name/manufacturer that makes the loweing kit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the stock seat and the lowered gel seat and don't notice a big difference in the seat height. I was expecting to have the seat lowered two inches, and with a $400 price tag, I am very disappointed to see the low seat has not helped me flat foot. And, as far as comfort goes, I think the stock seat is much better.

I'm curious about any other observations from people who have used both the stock and low gel seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips so far. I went to the dealer last weekend to see the versys...after getting on, the 33.1 inch ride height is a deal breaker for me.

Would it be possible to say get the Streetfigther height adjustment kit (lower by 40mm) and the Hyperpro rear lowering spring (30mm) together? Would this give a total of 70mm lower ride? Would this affect the ride?

If the Gel seat can lower by a further 50mm...that would be a total of 120mm lowering...and reduce the 33.1 inch ride height to 28.3 inch...which would be great for my size.

Your thoughts??

·
Registered
8 Posts
, the 33.1 inch ride height is a deal breaker for me.
...that would be a total of 120mm lowering...and reduce the 33.1 inch ride height to 28.3 inch...which would be great for my size.
Your thoughts??
OK, I am taller than you
by half an inch
I ride an F800ST
last year I had a G650XChallenge
and no issues whatsoever with seat height

let me ask you 2 questions:
why do you meed to flatfoot?
why don't you get a chruiser/chopper?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm new to motorcycles. I don't see myself on a sport bike or a cruiser. The versys just seems like the ideal fit...upright seating position and a good size. but the tippy toeing just didn't give me confidence.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you like the Versys, then look at its older sibling the 650R. It is lower with nearly the same upright position.

Maloy

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with jojo, you should take a look at the category called naked bikes (SV650, honda 599 or yamaha SZ1). You get an upright position on a much lower bike. I look at them when shopping for the Versys and they are very nice bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and can flat foot. I am a new born again biker and just passed my test and have a Versys. (Fantastic bike, love it). I made the mistake of trying to flat foot when I pull up but nearly toppled a couple of times. You see the ground isn't flat ! So I now toe first. An experienced trainer recently told me to look at the camber of the road and put the right foot down first if the grounds nearer. Obvious to all experienced riders. I would say if you are 5' 6" then if you can lower it by 100mm then you should have no problems and probably going to be OK with 75mm. The more I ride the bike the less the height thing seems a problem. And it great to get a commanding view over traffic etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would it be possible to say get the Streetfigther height adjustment kit (lower by 40mm) and the Hyperpro rear lowering spring (30mm) together? Would this give a total of 70mm lower ride? Would this affect the ride?
I can't imagine why you couldn't use both the spring and the lowering kit together. Even with just that you're looking at a 2 3/4 inch drop. How short are your legs? I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, and I'm so far dealing with the stock height ok, though I'm considering the 40 mm lowering kit, or the seat. It would be one or the other though, I don't want it too low.

The more experience with motorcycles you have, the less the height becomes an issue I think. I may do nothing at all and just be carefull when stopping.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am new rider like yourself 5'6''. went with the lower gel seat. did not like the price, but wantd lower the seat height. after a few hours of riding, I am glad I went with the gel seat. Initially I was finding myself on my toes, because I straddled the foot pegs. When I started to place my legs and the foot levers, I was closer to being flat footed. another option may be to have a custom seat.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There's always the possibility of the "rack" to strecth you out a few inches. I wonder what store would carry surplus torture equipment? Or, if you had a neighbor with 4 horses and some rope... :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
hi jojo

what about a pair of them boots with raised platforms, less pain I think, It might look odd but Tom Cruise dont seem to care...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts