Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a strange issue with the starter.

When the engine is "cold" (and honestly right now in Texas there is no such thing as cold) and in Neutral, when I push the starter once, and hold it for a sec or two, the bike won't start so I let go.
then after few seconds, I'll try again and it starts up. when the engine is hot, it doesn't happen

When it first happened, I thought it was just a fluke, but since than, it happened pretty much every time.

any idea what could that be? does the starter also need to be "broken-in"

the bike is brand new with < 100 miles

I'll probably gonna take it to the dealership so they can look into this.

p.s: do I have to give it some gas when I start it up? like with lawn mowers? I don't think my bike has a choke , I mean it's 2018 lol.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Don,t gas the bike, just press the starter button and it should fire up and maintain warm up phase for a few minutes after which it should drop back to normal idle RPM.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Also make sure the fuel pump stops running before you hit the start button.

That humming noise you hear when you first turn on the key is the fuel pump running. It will stop after a couple of seconds. Do not hit the start button until it stops running.

The fuel system must have sufficient pressure for the bike to start and run.

After you master the start technique, do a google search on fuel injection systems of motorcycles and read to get yourself up to speed on your new steed. Remember knowledge is power.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
52 Posts

When the engine is "cold" (and honestly right now in Texas there is no such thing as cold) and in Neutral, when I push the starter once, and hold it for a sec or two, the bike won't start so I let go.
then after few seconds, I'll try again and it starts up. when the engine is hot, it doesn't happen

When it first happened, I thought it was just a fluke, but since than, it happened pretty much every time.

p.s: do I have to give it some gas when I start it up? like with lawn mowers? I don't think my bike has a choke , I mean it's 2018 lol.
Also make sure the fuel pump stops running before you hit the start button.

That humming noise you hear when you first turn on the key is the fuel pump running. It will stop after a couple of seconds. Do not hit the start button until it stops running.

The fuel system must have sufficient pressure for the bike to start and run.

After you master the start technique, do a google search on fuel injection systems of motorcycles and read to get yourself up to speed on your new steed. Remember knowledge is power.

Good luck and ride safe.
what hawkerjet said.... turn the key on (deactivate emergency cut off if activated) wait for fuel pump to prime then give it another try... hopefully it's just a misunderstanding between you and your Versys. LoL

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think it's just checking to see if you really want to go for a ride! 0:):grin2:

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
...do I have to give it some gas when I start it up? like with lawn mowers? I don't think my bike has a choke , I mean it's 2018 lol.
No. No gas.

Also make sure the fuel pump stops running before you hit the start button....
I hit the start button AFTER the little "engine symbol" on the tachometer, near the number 11, has gone OUT. I figure that's the indication that it's 'ready-to-go'.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I hit the start button AFTER the little "engine symbol" on the tachometer, near the number 11, has gone OUT. I figure that's the indication that it's 'ready-to-go'.
What's an engine symbol? Tachometer...do I have one???

Number 11...can't count that high.

Guess I will have to stick with "ready to go." Lol.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts

Your normal warmed up idle speed is probably too low... Set it at 1,300 rpm as specified.

·
Registered
260 Posts

The bike should start on the first try and should not require a second attempt.

I think you're on the right track by taking it back to the dealer to find out what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's on the Gen 3 tachs - looks kinda like a SBC V-8 in profile. What year's your V, Tim?[/QUOTE

My reply was totally tongue in cheek. Just being silly as usual.

Sorry to have mislead you...Lol.

My V is a 2015 so yep I have all those things I was joking about.

Some of my posts are serious but I often inject my demented sense of attempted humor. Kan't take me anywhere. Time to call the union rep.

Cheers mate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts