Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2007 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my bike completely shut down as I was coming to a stop. The dash went blank, turn and hazards stopped were not working. I tried turning of with the key and restarting which didn't work.
I removed the seat and checked the battery connections which seems ok, so I opened the fuse box and sort of wiggled the fuses. I tried turning it on again and it seemed fine. I did notice that the odometer had switched to the clock and was set to 1:00.
Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

Premium Member
That is a dangerous thing to happen. To have that happen, many things had to go wrong . Key switch is one, the connector from the right side needs to be inspected. 2007 had corrosion problems on some. This involves removing the gas tank. If you have never done it. Search valve shim in the How to thread by me. I have photos and text about removing the tank . 07 you need to be careful , it is a plastic fuel bung .
You should be taking your frame ground off and cleaning it, however I doubt it is the cause. You are certain the battery connections are good.
Your ECU had to drop out. What happened could do damage to the ECU , as the motor was spinning and tge stator was outputting power. A instant in time when the stick coils and injectors stopped, a surge could go across the ECU. That year , power for some of the sensors was produced in the cluster / display module , which could explain the clock.

Administrator
Follow what Onewizard had said and get a can of electronicc contact spray to clean all contact points and Hope its not anything serious.

Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
If your clock reset, then you likely had a power loss...... could be several causes.... do you know your stator connections are good? Condition of your battery?
Could be lots of things, yes clean up all connections.....

Registered
I had a similar issue. Basically what it was - one of the wires from the main harness under the tank scrubbed off against the frame and started shorting. Most of the times it would blow the main fuse but others you could just restart the bike. I actually had couple of open wires under the tank but I tapped them off and all seems to be good. Needed to replace the whole starter fuse box/thing as it partially melted after repeated shorting, it was still functioning but getting in fuse in and out was on a challanging side

Premium Member
I had a similar issue. Basically what it was - one of the wires from the main harness under the tank scrubbed off against the frame and started shorting. Most of the times it would blow the main fuse but others you could just restart the bike. I actually had couple of open wires under the tank but I tapped them off and all seems to be good. Needed to replace the whole starter fuse box/thing as it partially melted after repeated shorting, it was still functioning but getting in fuse in and out was on a challanging side
Yes, I forgot to mention, on the 07, several bikes had the clutch cable routed wrong, it wore through the harness from the right side handlebar. Removing the tank is the only way to find it. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Fastoman

Registered
2007 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll work through and check all the wiring. Did notice that my horn stopped working a few days ago, so maybe that is related.

Premium Member
Thanks everyone. I'll work through and check all the wiring. Did notice that my horn stopped working a few days ago, so maybe that is related.
That is an easy test, separate connector. With the key on and a voltmeter, connect the negative lead to your negative battery post. With your positive lead check either horn wire, you should read battery voltage around 12.7 to 12.9 VDC. What happens is positive is fed by I think a 10 amp fuse directly to the horn through one of the relays, the negative terminal is connected to the horn button switch, and from that switch is a ground. I have suggested if someone wanted a switched power source for a USB charger, you could use the horn feed, as it is classed as an intermittent load. Nothing needs to come apart and it is easily accessed. The low beam High beam and passing switch have problems with the connector on the MK-1, Kawasaki made huge improvements on the MK-3, rubber boots, and rubber covers over many electrical connectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts