Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up shorts for bike riders with the seat padding this way I could use them for long distance riding.

Went for a short ride today to try them and they felt good. I'll see how they do on all day rides soon.

Read that a decent amount of people have used them with success.

Anyone here try them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some of the guys on my Yellowstone trip a couple weeks ago picked some up on our last day (day 4). They now swear by them. We were only doing approximately 300 - 350 mile days, but they still said the padded shorts helped and they'll use them on future trips. I have some padded bike shorts already, and am going to take them along on our next trip over Labor Day (Sept 1).

·
Registered
440 Posts
They can be confining for your "boys" if you keep them on too long.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used Aerostich padded shorts on a two-day 1200-mile ride last summer on a bike that was less comfortable than the Verys. The shorts worked a charm. I put in nearly 700 miles the first day with no hint of the dreaded monkey butt.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, those are good prices. Mine cost me $55 at REI, but they came with shorts too. Many brands were over $70.

Mail order makes me uncomfortable because I have to try them on first to see how they truly fit. Several that were my size did not feel right until I found that one pair. So I guess when you figure in shipping and possibly shipping them back because of fit, it's a gamble.

I have a long ride coming up soon and see how they work out. Sounds like people have had success with them in this thread and that's good.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have used the LC Comfort shorts for the last 3 years. Excellent for long trips!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I left at the crack of dawn and put on over 850 miles. The bike pants "helped" but I still wanted to get off the saddle.

I even reworked my seat with memory foam which is nicer than what I had, but guess I'll have to keep on experimenting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an avid bicyclist I have always had high quality shorts around. Besides bicycling, I used them initially for racing long off-road motorcycle races, particularly woods races where you are sitting a lot. In these type of races you can get wicked monkey-butt. When I started doing 500+ mile days on a road bike, the shorts became an essential part of the kit. I recently rode a 500 mile day with some Pearl Izumi shorts, and an Alaska Leather sheepskin cover and a stock seat. I was totally fine for the whole way, but always glad to stop and get gas. I highly recommend trying bicycling shorts if your doing any all day riding.

Regards,
Wardo

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the record, I gave up on the bicycle pants and got a store credit. As I said in another subject thread, the bike pants didn't give enough "room".

What drastically helped is when I took a camping air pillow and put it in my seat with just enough air to keep me off the foam below. Since I trimmed the foam, the air pillow does not add to the height. I was comfortable the whole 1000 mile plus ride home, with no bike pants.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For the record, I gave up on the bicycle pants and got a store credit. As I said in another subject thread, the bike pants didn't give enough "room".

What drastically helped is when I took a camping air pillow and put it in my seat with just enough air to keep me off the foam below. Since I trimmed the foam, the air pillow does not add to the height. I was comfortable the whole 1000 mile plus ride home, with no bike pants.
So....do think an Airbob seat would be the answer?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought a pair of compression pants at the local dirtbike store a few years ago for about $30. I think they make a big difference - especially on long rides.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Time to revive this thread. I've been doing longer trips lately & the seat is about to do me in. Anyone still using bike shorts? I've seen them range anywhere from $20 to over $120 for a pair. Are the higher priced shorts really that much better? Am I waisting (pun & mispelling intended!!) my time on shorts? I don't want to modify my stock seat like ATGATT did (although he seems happy from the above post), & I don't have the cash for an after market seat at the moment.

How about it, what are you medium to long distance guys doing for comfort??

:huh:

:usa:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Time to revive this thread. I've been doing longer trips lately & the seat is about to do me in. Anyone still using bike shorts? I've seen them range anywhere from $20 to over $120 for a pair. Are the higher priced shorts really that much better? Am I waisting (pun & mispelling intended!!) my time on shorts? I don't want to modify my stock seat like ATGATT did (although he seems happy from the above post), & I don't have the cash for an after market seat at the moment.

How about it, what are you medium to long distance guys doing for comfort??

:huh:

:usa:
Well, here is my input.... I bought a pair of cheap shorts from nashbar, $20 I think, holy smokes! yes, 2-3 hrs no prob now. But I think the butt can only take so much.I only wear this on trips of 100 miles or more per day.
I see JC Whitney has gel pads that you can cut to put under your seat cover, I would carve out the seat to put in the Gel pad. So it wont look like a bunch under the cover. Like I said, I have considered it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
PJ's!

Well now that it is cooling down... I wear cushy pants under my riding pants... like pajama pants, or running pants... just so that I stay a bit warmer, and the extra butt cushoning you get with a thick pair helps quite a bit...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.