Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if others have had this issue, but I recently installed the Puig crash bars on my 2014 650, and when I dropped it on the left side, I found that I was having a really hard time down shifting. After an anxiety filled ride to the garage (got stuck in 3rd at one point), the mechanic found that the rear portion near the shifter rod (apologies for my ignorance about technical terminology) was bent inward and was blocking the shifter rod from allowing me to downshift. He was able to bend the crash bar out of the way and the problem was solved but this happened from just laying down the bike from a stationary position. It makes me very nervous about getting stuck someplace more isolated after a bigger fall unable to downshift. I'm not sure if others have had this issue, but it definitely makes me regret having gotten the Puig crash bars.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
can you post up some photos? is good info to know thanks for sharing

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
FWIW - when I 'low-sided' at about 20 to 30 km/hr on the Dempster Hwy, just S of Inuvik (wearing SW-Motech crash bars), I was stuck in gear until I removed a pebble that was jamming my shift-lever.

However, the SW-Motech crash bars did NOT bend!

Here's what they looked like (that stuff hanging down is just electricians tape I'd put on to hide scratches previously).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. I store my bike downstate so I can ride in the winter, but I'll get some pictures up next time I ride. Good to know about the SW Motech. Should've gone German from the start! Hopefully, others can learn from my mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts